Tailgate window motor trouble for Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86suburban

Reaction score
First Name
brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
Hello everyone, I was wondering if any of you happen to know a good re-builder for a Suburban tailgate motor? Apparently no new or aftermarket motors exist, and I have already done a rebuild through Rock Auto (i think they go through Cardone) and the motor was still very weak after they 'rebuilt' it and was hoping you guys might be able to recommend another solution. I called a couple of local shops and didn't get the impression they cared much to try it.

Thanks!

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Sorry to hear that the rebuilt motor does not seem up to par. I just found a motor for an ‘85 at a recycle yard north of us and am hoping it works, but think the family is planning to send the existing motor through Rock. I did contact a guy, Cadillac Tim, that has rebuilt seat motors for me but he does not do the window motors.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I would verify the voltage supply to the motor and the condition of the tracks as well.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What @yevgenievich said.

Check your voltage at the input of the window switch, the output at the window switch, and the voltage at the input to the tailgate switch. Finally at the motor.

Also, since the motor only receives +12vdc, check the ground points at the motor and the tailgate to body/chassis.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Are you sure the motor is actually weak and the window isn't just getting hung up? The rollers will wear out after a while and then it basically just grinds along the track. Sometimes it can still move up and down but doesn't glide as easily as it should so the motor has to work harder than it should.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I had to do wiring, roller and track adjustment with motor on my old suburban

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The wiring junction under the rear body will often turn into a big ball of corrosion and cause problems too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK