Tailgate "link"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Has anybody here found a replacement to the tailgate links, as they're called at LMC, that keep the tailgate from dropping too far? I'd like to get rid of the metal bars and go with cables like on newer trucks. I have only found one set that says it will fit just not sure if I believe them or not. Shouldn't be too difficult to do just thought I'd ask around before I start buying and returning parts that don't fit.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Didn’t know they made cable “conversions.”
I’d probably head to the pick n pull with an OE tailgate support in hand and try to match something up.
What is the reason you want to switch?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Not sure if they do make conversions - just hoping.
Just want to switch to get away from having to paint (doing a complete color change) and scratch up the bars.
I may just do the pick n pull thing this weekend. Weather is supposed to be good and if I can get the wiring done in time to send it to paint I'll be free for a bit.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Couple thoughts:

I would measure the distance from the pin on the pickup box side panel to the tailgate connection with the gate down (the length of the production link) and go to a dealership, open a bunch of tailgates and find the right length. Purchase a set of cables for that type of vehicle.

Second thought - here's a product that I have become aware of that allows you to position the tailgate at several partially open positions:

https://www.castel-usa.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg