Tailgate hardware...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Anyone know of any diagrams or videos showing how to rebuild the tailgate latch and hardware ('79 C10)? Something just let loose/broke on mine, and now it won't latch.. I'm having to hold the tail gate up with a piece of wire.. Latch feels loose..

I see complete rebuild kits at LMC, Rock Auto, etc... but no diagrams of how it's all supposed to connect.. Would like to familiarize myself with how it's all supposed be connected, any tip/tricks to reconnect it, or the procedure to replace it all...

Thanks,
Mark

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Here's a diagram from LMC. Sometimes the springs stick on parts 9 & 10 causing the pin not to extend. Your truck should have the second style #10.

You must be registered for see images attach

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's a diagram from LMC. Sometimes the springs stick on parts 9 & 10 causing the pin not to extend. Your truck should have the second style #10.

Yeah, seen all that (same kit much cheaper on RockAuto, BTW).. Thing is, it doesn't show how it all connects, or the procedure for installing the rods and what not...

I don't think it's an issue with the latches (although they may be bad too) so much as the rods or the connection points for them having come loose or broken... The 'spring tension' I used to feel when pulling the handle is gone, as if nothing is connected to it..

But I'll look into lubricating the latches... Who knows, maybe that will be it.. (would be nice)..

Another issue with the tailgate I've had since I've owned the truck, is that on the driver side, the stationary pin (grayed out above) inside the recess at the edge of the tailgate, where the straps attach to hold the tailgate level with the bed when it's open (#14-15 in the diagram) is missing...

I don't see anywhere on line where to buy one, nor how to install one if I could... Would appreciate any insight in how to replace that too (if possible at all)..

Thanks,
Mark

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The spring tension you feel comes from those latches that Craig mentioned. Either they need lubed or the handle pivot points need lubed. Or both.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The only thing that creates the latch/lock of the gate is the parts I indicated. It has been a long time since I've dug into a Squarebody gate. I can't recall if the ends of the rods have these plastic clips like my 2001 did. Maybe someone else can chime in.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Okay, took it apart and need to order some parts...

But first I need to ID the tailgate..

The bed/tailgate is not original, so here are some pictures of the tailgate.. Anyone can tell me what year this is? 75-77 is my guess thus far?

Also, in the picture of the Driver's side, you'll notice that the 'post' for the tailgate support is missing.. Can't find this part for sale anywhere, nor do I see hot to install it.. Can anyone tell me where to get the part and how to replace it (or a work around)?

Finally, in researching this, I keep seeing thread where people mention some years had 'quick release' hinges.. But I can't find any pictures or description of what that is or what it look like, or if I have that..

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm not too familiar with the different versions of the latch hardware, but I believe those alignment posts on the tailgate are '73-'76 only.

To remove your tailgate, you have to unbolt at least one of the hinges. The later year tailgates have a notched hinge on the passenger side so you can lift the tailgate right out of place. I don't know when that started, but my '79 doesn't have it but my '84 did.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I'm not too familiar with the different versions of the latch hardware, but I believe those alignment posts on the tailgate are '73-'76 only.

To remove your tailgate, you have to unbolt at least one of the hinges. The later year tailgates have a notched hinge on the passenger side so you can lift the tailgate right out of place. I don't know when that started, but my '79 doesn't have it but my '84 did.
My 78 has it so id say at least 78 + :shrug:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Really? Maybe I need to look at my '79 again.
Ive had my gate off many times and never unbolted anything. Ill load up some pics tomorrow to justify

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Idk about where to find a diagram, but that shouldn't really be necessary. It's a couple rods, a handle, some plastic clips, and latches. Not rocket science. You may need to figure out what year it is for the sake of ordering parts, but besides that it should be self explanatory once you take it apart and get a god look at it. Not like building an engine or something, it's a friggin tailgate lol

Honestly there probably isn't a diagram out there better than what you saw in LMC because who really needs it? Hah, if you can't figure out something so simple, put the wrench down before you hurt yourself.

Who knows, maybe you can be the first one to make a diagram and post it all over facespaceogram and become famous for helping all the kids figure out how a tailgate latch works

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
My original taigate on my 75K20 came off very easily. Pull the straps up and remove ,then tip the gate up a ways pull it off of the drivers side and slide left and it was off. Did it a lot in order to mount the 9 1/2 foot overhead self-contained camper on the truck....back in the day. Also as I remember it was a finger pinchin SOB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara