Tailgate Handle Assembly

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Charlie, May 13, 2018.

1. Charlie

Charlie Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
    Wanting to remove tailgate handle assembly to clean, lubricate and paint. Handle has about 1" free travel then moves rods to open latches. When closing it is the reverse operation and handle can be pushed up to stay. Handle does not fall back down while driving. Wondering if this is normal? Have searched forum and internet and have not located information on this. I would really like to see a video of the operation to see if it is normal.

TIA

2. chengny

chengny Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K3500
    Engine Size:
    350/5.7
    No video, but below is the parts dwg/list. It might be of some help. I don't see any type of return spring (shown or mentioned), so what you are currently doing may be just the way it is. But on the other hand, I suppose its possible that there is a spring - it is just not sold separately (i.e. it comes as part of the handle #5?):

Pages from Pages from 51A_1973_1978_GM_Light_Truck_Illustration_1983_Printing.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    HotRodPC likes this.
  3. PrairieDrifter

PrairieDrifter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c10
    Engine Size:
    350, 350, 350
    Is that schematic possibly wrong? It says 73-78 but the picture shows a 67-72

78c10bigten likes this.
  4. chengny

chengny Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K3500
    Engine Size:
    350/5.7
    I think its correct - I don't even have the parts manuals for anything prior to 1973.

HotRodPC likes this.
  5. PrairieDrifter

PrairieDrifter Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mason
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c10
    Engine Size:
    350, 350, 350
    It just caught my eye because those bedsides are for sure a 67-72. Maybe they just didn’t update the illustrations and they’re the exact same anyways?

6. Craig 85

Craig 85 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    My '85 does the same thing, but it is the only one of the the 6 square body pickups that has had that much play.

I noticed in LMC's catalog the 73, 81-87 is a different handle than the 74-80. Classic Parts of America breaks their's down to 67-73, 74-80 and 81-91. I took these photos off CPA's website. They are indeed different.
    67-73
    [​IMG]
    74-80
    [​IMG]
    81-91
    [​IMG]

HotRodPC likes this.
  7. Charlie

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    Ok guy's....could use a little help here. I have taken out the 3 screws for the handle from inside tailgate. Cannot get the right rod unhooked and frankly, cannot see how it would come out of the hole. I guess I need instructions to remove if someone could help'

8. Charlie

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    Finally got it out. This was a PITA to get out. Hardest part was removing left side rod. Found a post by HotRodPC in June 2016 that was helpful, but not exactly the same, but very close.

Found the reason I thought I had free play in the handle. Dirt and years of outside gremlins was binding at the pivot point that both rods connect to. There is no spring. When working correctly, springs on latches will pull handle up correctly.

Now...on to the cleaning, lubricating, painting and hopefully re-assembling.

Will post pics before and after cleaning and painting.

Blue Ox and Craig 85 like this.
  9. Jppr26

Jppr26 Full Access Member

First Name:
    John
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V20 custom deluxe
    Engine Size:
    350/5.7
    The return spring works off the latch springs, I tried like hell to get mine apart but just ended up stripping the 3 Phillips head screws out and said f-it. Sprayed it with wd40 for a few days then worked the latch and had to reach in with a punch to set it back a few times, if you got slop you may need to replace or add bushings where your latch rods attach

10. Charlie

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    Did not know return worked off latches.My brain was spoofing me telling me a spring was on handle. Learn something every day. I think the springs are ok. Have them out, don't look too bad. going to ultrasonic clean them tomorrow. Ultrasonic cleaned handle assembly today and found out handle was bent and was binding on assembly. Did a lot bending in vise and got it to free fall holding it. Think that was the main problem all along. Will be painting in a day or two. Pics to come soon.

11. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
  12. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    Yes, those 3 screws are a righteous bitch and they do usually stip before coming loose. The ONLY success I've had at getting them loose is a hammer driven impact driver. HF has one for $9, just over $7 using a 20% off coupon and Sears has 1 for $22. This is a tool you won't use often at all, but it's one that's nice to have in the box for that occasional use if and when needed.

Being that you don't use it often, I'd say the $8 one from HF is sufficient. I've had my China made hand impact for over 25 years and have used a total of maybe 3 times, 5 at the very most but it damn sure came in handy. My uncle gave it to me as a gift one year when I was young and started collecting tools. I figured I'd never use it but it's sure come in handy when I needed it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impa...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM_gksnYiNsCFUS9TwodbFEHKQ

13. Charlie

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    HotRodPC likes this.
  14. Charlie

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    Have been working on tailgate handle assembly this week. Found in the past, handle got bent causing binding and handle not going all the way up. Still working on it, not being in a hurry. Cleaning and painting. Got 1 day away from being finished, the other part-time driver went down today. 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Had to have it towed to shop.

So, I had to remove tailgate so I can drive to work. Still have handle and latches off waiting to be painted. I noticed taking tailgate off, right side has a lot of play between the trunion and gate. Is this normal or should it only have a little as the left side has? Trunion looks ok and left and right are the same part #. I was thinking it might need a spacer but not sure.