Tailgate Handle Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Wanting to remove tailgate handle assembly to clean, lubricate and paint. Handle has about 1" free travel then moves rods to open latches. When closing it is the reverse operation and handle can be pushed up to stay. Handle does not fall back down while driving. Wondering if this is normal? Have searched forum and internet and have not located information on this. I would really like to see a video of the operation to see if it is normal.

TIA

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wanting to remove tailgate handle assembly to clean, lubricate and paint. Handle has about 1" free travel then moves rods to open latches. When closing it is the reverse operation and handle can be pushed up to stay. Handle does not fall back down while driving. Wondering if this is normal? Have searched forum and internet and have not located information on this. I would really like to see a video of the operation to see if it is normal.

TIA

No video, but below is the parts dwg/list. It might be of some help. I don't see any type of return spring (shown or mentioned), so what you are currently doing may be just the way it is. But on the other hand, I suppose its possible that there is a spring - it is just not sold separately (i.e. it comes as part of the handle #5?):

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is that schematic possibly wrong? It says 73-78 but the picture shows a 67-72

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Is that schematic possibly wrong? It says 73-78 but the picture shows a 67-72

I think its correct - I don't even have the parts manuals for anything prior to 1973.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I think its correct - I don't even have the parts manuals for anything prior to 1973.
It just caught my eye because those bedsides are for sure a 67-72. Maybe they just didn’t update the illustrations and they’re the exact same anyways?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
My '85 does the same thing, but it is the only one of the the 6 square body pickups that has had that much play.

I noticed in LMC's catalog the 73, 81-87 is a different handle than the 74-80. Classic Parts of America breaks their's down to 67-73, 74-80 and 81-91. I took these photos off CPA's website. They are indeed different.
67-73

74-80

81-91

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Ok guy's....could use a little help here. I have taken out the 3 screws for the handle from inside tailgate. Cannot get the right rod unhooked and frankly, cannot see how it would come out of the hole. I guess I need instructions to remove if someone could help'

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Finally got it out. This was a PITA to get out. Hardest part was removing left side rod. Found a post by HotRodPC in June 2016 that was helpful, but not exactly the same, but very close.

Found the reason I thought I had free play in the handle. Dirt and years of outside gremlins was binding at the pivot point that both rods connect to. There is no spring. When working correctly, springs on latches will pull handle up correctly.

Now...on to the cleaning, lubricating, painting and hopefully re-assembling.

Will post pics before and after cleaning and painting.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
The return spring works off the latch springs, I tried like hell to get mine apart but just ended up stripping the 3 Phillips head screws out and said f-it. Sprayed it with wd40 for a few days then worked the latch and had to reach in with a punch to set it back a few times, if you got slop you may need to replace or add bushings where your latch rods attach

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
The return spring works off the latch springs, I tried like hell to get mine apart but just ended up stripping the 3 Phillips head screws out and said f-it. Sprayed it with wd40 for a few days then worked the latch and had to reach in with a punch to set it back a few times, if you got slop you may need to replace or add bushings where your latch rods attach

Did not know return worked off latches.My brain was spoofing me telling me a spring was on handle. Learn something every day. I think the springs are ok. Have them out, don't look too bad. going to ultrasonic clean them tomorrow. Ultrasonic cleaned handle assembly today and found out handle was bent and was binding on assembly. Did a lot bending in vise and got it to free fall holding it. Think that was the main problem all along. Will be painting in a day or two. Pics to come soon.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yes, those 3 screws are a righteous bitch and they do usually stip before coming loose. The ONLY success I've had at getting them loose is a hammer driven impact driver. HF has one for $9, just over $7 using a 20% off coupon and Sears has 1 for $22. This is a tool you won't use often at all, but it's one that's nice to have in the box for that occasional use if and when needed.

Being that you don't use it often, I'd say the $8 one from HF is sufficient. I've had my China made hand impact for over 25 years and have used a total of maybe 3 times, 5 at the very most but it damn sure came in handy. My uncle gave it to me as a gift one year when I was young and started collecting tools. I figured I'd never use it but it's sure come in handy when I needed it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impa...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM_gksnYiNsCFUS9TwodbFEHKQ

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size

Charlie

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
Have been working on tailgate handle assembly this week. Found in the past, handle got bent causing binding and handle not going all the way up. Still working on it, not being in a hurry. Cleaning and painting. Got 1 day away from being finished, the other part-time driver went down today. 2001 Hyundai Elantra. Had to have it towed to shop.

So, I had to remove tailgate so I can drive to work. Still have handle and latches off waiting to be painted. I noticed taking tailgate off, right side has a lot of play between the trunion and gate. Is this normal or should it only have a little as the left side has? Trunion looks ok and left and right are the same part #. I was thinking it might need a spacer but not sure.

bigbendjon

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I recently installed a new tailgate handle from LMC Truck. It was their part number for a '85 c10 fleetside but it was too big for the hole in the outer skin of the tailgate. What it took to get it to go in was trim off the sheet metal rolled in part of the upper edge. I had trouble getting the phillips head screws out. the LMC handle did not have new scews so i put in 12pt head srews. Getting the latch rods to stay in the handle while in stalling was difficult also, finally used ss safety wire

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey