Swapping 454 for a 307

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sepulvd

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Am doing the reverse swap going small block chevy. Do I have to change the mounts that am currently using for my 454 or do need new mounts. Also anything else needs to get swapped. Or is it just a direct drop

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Am doing the reverse swap going small block chevy. Do I have to change the mounts that am currently using for my 454 or do need new mounts. Also anything else needs to get swapped. Or is it just a direct drop
454 to 307........
Is everything okay?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Did I read that right?

Did you bump your head?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The metal engine mounts are good. You will need different rubber/metal mounts. They will bolt in different holes in the cross member, but the holes are already there. Maybe run a tap through those different holes to clean out the rust.

The 454 is externally balanced, you cannot use the ring gear or flywheel from that engine on the small block. You need all the accessory mounts for the small block, none of the big block parts will work. The accessories them self will work, alternator, P/S pump and maybe the A/C compressor. That depends on the different years of the doner engine that you get the accessory mounts from.

Hopefully the 307 doner is fully dressed with all the accessories, including the A/C compressor if you have AC in the truck. Last problem is the year of the 307, early 307's with the short water pump have different accessory drives and all the accessories sit farther out from the engine.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Short pumps are tighter to the engine?......and possibly no accessory holes in the front of the heads

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Short pumps are tighter to the engine?......and possibly no accessory holes in the front of the heads
Yes short water pumps are tight to the block. Yes no accessory holes in the heads. So there is no room to mount the accessories to the front of the block. They all hang way out on the sides of the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat