Suburban rear heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Anybody have pictures of factory installed rear heat in a 80's Suburban? Found one at a salvage yard (online). Hoping to have it by Monday. Would like to see the exact(ish) location.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a factory Rear Heater Kit that is the type that would have been installed at the dealer. Other than the dash switch and wire harness, I think it is the same as what would have been installed at the factory. I'll be home for Christmas and can take a picture of the floor template (might need a reminder) if it will help. I know it installs on the right side of the floor.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
That would be perfect. Thanks

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
didn't even know rear heat was an option :hmm: I thought i was a fancy boy with the rear AC. Now, i'm not so fancy LOL

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Here, take a look how I did mine: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=303329&postcount=34

From the factory service manual:

You must be registered for see images attach

The switch:

You can see mine here again in black. After a few camping trips, the enclosure has cracked a bit more (was already a bit broken) but still works fine, and works well as a boot warmer too! And also serves as a rear defogger (but is weak).

There are two type of auxiliary heaters for the burb (and also the blazer, but I'm not too familiar with them.) They are both very similar, and function the same way. The first is what you would get if you ordered it from the factory with RPO code: C36. The second is a kit you could purchase from the dealer to install a rear heater in a burb (or blazer?) that didn't come with a rear heater originally. The only difference I know of is the switch: the factory-equipment version just has high and low settings, while the add-on kit has high, med, low. Also, the add-on kit comes with just 5/8 and 3/4" heater hose, and does NOT include the metal pipes from C36 RPO code. From the factory there are two sections of send/return metal pipes that are connected with heater hose that mount to the frame rails. Strangely, the power/ground wires for the fan also run under the vehicle.

Any other questions about this just let me know, I have gone through exactly what you probably will have to do and can lend my knowledge. Did your vehicle have a rear heater already? Or are you trying to retrofit? You will need the heater enclosure + fan, the heater core (which is still made), the dash switch with wiring and vacuum line, and the heater control valve which splits coolant flow to the rear and front when selected.

Here are some pictures of that GM dealer add-on heater kit, it is very similar except for the switch and piping, and shows more of the pieces in detail:

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Did ya find the template for locating rear heater? Ready to start cutting and drilling.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Did ya find the template for locating rear heater? Ready to start cutting and drilling.

I should be able to get it out of the box in the morning. I'll set a reminder on my phone.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was remembering incorrectly on what the template was for, it is just for cutting out the side panels on k5's and vans. The instruction sheet gives the measurements on where to drill the holes in the floor.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Perfect Thanks a bunch:)

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Big thanks to everybody. Got the heater installed and it works great. Only had the heater to work with, so made my own lines out of PEX. Then installed a pair of ball valves under the hood. As far as wiring goes. I used the wiring for the overhead AC unit. I'll just switch the wires around next Summer.

WE HAVE HEAT!!!!!!!!!!:party36:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does it blow good and hot or just warm? I've always wondered how much heat would be lost in the lines by the time it got back there.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Very good heat. I'll have to use my IR thermometer on it. Also the rear 10' of lines are run through a piece of foam insulation designed to go over a 1' pipe. Dual purpose. I didn't know how the PEX would hold up to the rock road I live on.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Checked the heaters with my IR gun today. The rear heater is at least 5 degrees warmer through the entire trip. I suspect 30 year old blend doors in the front allow cool air to enter.:shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL