Suburban needs an axle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MajorKagami

Reaction score
First Name
Emily
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Hi, so I have an 88 2WD 1/2ton Suburban I've had it almost 3 months now, bought it with the knowledge the rear brakes hanging up, and well its more of a no oil in the rear issue. added oil and well it didn't stay in there very long leaks out when sitting over night got about a month of driving out of it before it started to sit still in gear. so I'm just going to guess the rear in it is scrap and easier to just replace the whole thing but with what??? 82-87 pickups? 82-91burbs? must it be from a 2WD??? 14bolt from srw 1-ton, needs a different U-joint and have to figure something out with the shock mounts, I may have read from the 14-bolt Bible. I've been gathering information but still haven't found the "THIS" will bolt in answer. please help

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you want to upgrade or just replace with the same?

Like you suspected, '82-'87/'91 rears are a direct swap if they are from a 2wd (5-lug).

If you are willing to do some minor parts swapping, you can open up your search criteria and/or make an upgrade in strength.

MajorKagami

Reaction score
First Name
Emily
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
thank you the 2WD-4WD(one is wider?) thing is whats been throwing me off now I have plain B sorted out. I would love to try for....dually if not I want to put bigass rear tires on it. don't see perch moving as an option, found a shop that will bolt in anything I bring them but bolt in is the key word there. searching for a rear I found a rebuilt chevy Dana 60 dually! 40 inches perch-perch 63 wide, reading info from all over the web this "SHOULD" bolt in with the half ton springs, and "possibly" work with the driveshaft as is, but as for the shocks??? and if that axle works I'd end up with a dually surburban that might not need more then a trim and fender flare.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you are looking for a simple solution I would not start out with a dually rear end. It will definitely require some modifications.

AFAIK the 2WD and 4WD single rear wheel rear ends are the same 73-87, but will differ based on GVW and year. I would try to find one where you can get the driveshaft to go with it so that you have the right length and yokes on each end. You can even use something as big as a 14 bolt FF from a 3/4 ton, but will have to use 8 bolt wheels. Many of the 14 bolts are also 4.10 gearing, which might be lower than you want.

Bruce

MajorKagami

Reaction score
First Name
Emily
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
yeah I've been trying to get those the crazy ideas out of my head.... would an 87Suburban2500's 14 bolt swap right in? so what is different with the 2wd/4wd 10bolt?? only thing I'm reading is 4wd is wider??

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
yeah I've been trying to get those the crazy ideas out of my head.... would an 87Suburban2500's 14 bolt swap right in? so what is different with the 2wd/4wd 10bolt?? only thing I'm reading is 4wd is wider??

Only difference between the 2wd and 4x4 10 bolt is the lug pattern. Width is the same. You can use a 4x4 axle rather easily, it's just a matter of swapping in your 5-lug shafts and drums. But there is a year difference that can complicate that, because starting in '89, the shafts went to 30 spline.

A 3/4 ton axle will bolt right it, but you do need a "conversion" u-joint. There is a 14bolt full-float and also a lighter duty 14bolt semi-float. If you want to try running dual wheels, go with the full float axle because the hubs will accommodate dually rims.

An axle (14FF or Dana 70) from a 1ton truck won't bolt right in because the perch spacing is narrower.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
As mentioned above the only difference in the 10 bolt 2wd or 4wd is the lug pattern (5 and 6).
If you go 14 bolt, it will at least be a 6 lug for SF and 8 lug for FF.
I'm actually putting a 14B SF from a 94 pickup into my 82 K5. Will have to move perches and shock tabs but I bought new ones. Also the k5 is already 6 lug. Just need the conversion u-joint (447). One of the advantages is having a much stronger axle than the 10 bolt and the front and rear axles are almost exactly the same width.

Have you thought about a 12 bolt from a square? I think they were used until the late 70's.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Don't get front and rear axles confused. The front axle for a 4wd is wider than the rear axle, which is what may be messing you up. Pretty much all half ton axles will bolt up to a half ton.

If you want to go heavier, shock mounting and spring perches can change, as well as said above you will have to look into u joint conversions as well, but they're fairly easy to find. I wouldn't do a dually swap in your situation. If you're in a time crunch just find a good 12 bolt. Depends if you have a box or flatbed, good luck finding good dually fenders for anything less than a small fortune.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I did the 12 bolt 6 lug to an 8 lug 14 bolt SF swap in my '79 K15. One issue I ran into in addition to using a above mentioned U-joint was I had to shorten my driveshaft due to the pumpkin being larger in the 14 bolt.

MajorKagami

Reaction score
First Name
Emily
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
If 5lug/6lug is the only deference.... my plain before the rear issue was run a bigger/wider rear then the front. I found a set front/rear for dirt cheap going to grab them today. sell the front for whatever and rebuild kit an locker into the rear, then I'll stick 6lug 16's on the back which will let me run inexpensive 305 or 315's. after I get it fixed I'll take some pics my plain for the truck is to look like its in a MadMax movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes