1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suburban frame swap?

Discussion in 'Under Construction' started by Brandyn, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Brandyn

Brandyn Junior Member

First Name:
    Brandyn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500
    Engine Size:
    I currently own a 1990 Suburban The wife wants a nice big vehicle to hall the kids and dogs. We plan on doing a restoration on it starting soon. We had contemplated on swapping in a LB7 with the Alison out of my 2001 2500HD. I'm not sure if I really want to add all that extra weight with the additional HP and TQ to the stock 1/2 ton suburban frame. My 2500 HD frame is spotless. I know it might need to be shortened a little bit but has anyone attempted to set a suburban body on a newer frame. I have searched the forms and have seen people talking about frame swaps but I haven't been able to find an actual build. I know there will be some fab work for all the body mounts. I mainly want to know if the frames line up at all. I don't want to body swap something where you can see between the frame and the body I want it to look like it was suppose to be there. Thanks in advance. and for all of you that are going to say WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. It our truck I think it would be neat I don't need negative comments I'm just more looking to see if it has been done and some insight on what was done to complete the process

Thanks in advance

2. Arkansas_V8

Arkansas_V8 Proud Redneck

First Name:
    Brent
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V20 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    The Subrurban frame should hold up fine given it's in good shape.

I have seen some duramax swaps, and loads of high hp/tq Cummins swaps.

But if you are determined to swap the body I hope you keep us updated. Interesting build.

3. Charlie

Charlie Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
    :welcome:

4. TubeTruck

TubeTruck Full Access Member

First Name:
    Denis
    Truck Year:
    1978, 1975
    Truck Model:
    Suburban K10, GMC K15
    Engine Size:
    350ci
    What Arkansas said. If the frame is good it should be ok, assuming you're not racing it, lol. If you're looking to do a type of restoration I would go as far as to box the original frame. It will hold up to anything after that. DIY4X has frame boxing kits if you wanted to go that route.

5. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Welcome to the site.

6. Brandyn

Brandyn Junior Member

First Name:
    Brandyn
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500
    Engine Size:
    The frame I have I don't think is bad I just don't think its in the same condition and has the same tow rating as the newer HD frame. If im going to de commission the duramax to swap engines I want to use the frame the 2500hd already has a newer re end and all new front suspension plus its IFS so it ride a little smoother. I just want to know if anyone has attempted. I know I seen forms with people swapping pickup truck over to newer frames but nothing on a suburban