suburban 4x4 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hi Guys and Girls, I recently traded a pickup for a 1988 suburban for nostalgia reasons I want to restore it and use it as weekend warrior for yard sales, auctions and pulling a track car on weekends. It’s a 2wd and I would like to convert it to 4wd in the spring. After beating my head on a wall, I finally joined this forum. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with Sky’s off-road design 68-88 perch drop kit in the description it says that it can be used to convert 2WD to 4wd. And in the comments, someone said they used the kit to convert a 1ton to 4WD. If anyone has had any experience with this, I’d love to pick your brain as I move forward with the project.

Things I should mention

1) I plan on finding a rotted suburban or one with no title as a donor vehicle. I was going to buy one anyway for miscellaneous trim parts and interior parts that are missing.

2) I have a garage to work on the project in. and I have the tools and knowledge however I plan to have the perch drop professionally welded in.

3) Before people jump on my back about “just sell it and buy a K10 or K20” I would be hard pressed to find one that is this clean without paying a premium for it. and I don’t have any money into the truck it was pretty much free.

4) The reason I want it 4WD is I live in Minnesota and we have had some crazy winters I work in a field that I cant just call out based on mother nature’s poor attitude I also like to hike and live about 6 hours from the black hills so I would like something that can get down a trail the 4x4 would give me piece of mind to do this.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, and if there are any other fabrication kits could someone let me know

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Have to cut up the transmission tunnel, unless you do a body lift also. Different between the two.

Honestly easier to find that rotted out 4wd, and do a body swap than the other way around.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Have to cut up the transmission tunnel, unless you do a body lift also. Different between the two.

Honestly easier to find that rotted out 4wd, and do a body swap than the other way around.
Thanks Arkansas, that is another route I’m thinking of taking. It just depends what falls into my lap

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a 2wd Burb that is going to get 4wd swapped as well. The transmission hump is probably the easiest thing that needs done. It's a swap that I feel is worthwhile, but I also don't really mind torching out frame rivets. I have all the parts, just need the time to do it.

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a 2wd Burb that is going to get 4wd swapped as well. The transmission hump is probably the easiest thing that needs done. It's a swap that I feel is worthwhile, but I also don't really mind torching out frame rivets. I have all the parts, just need the time to do it.
if you start a build thread let me know i would like to see the process

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

I have done a ton of rivet removal, a good sharp chisel on a good air hammer is the fastest way. Took like 10 seconds per rivet.

I only mentioned the trans tunnel. Body lift fixes that.

If you find a good 4wd drivetrain with a rotted body, it's still easier to just body swap. Just saying.

A lot less work, and measuring, and the same result.

I mean unless you already have the axle steering, or crossover if you arent swapping steering boxes, leaf spring hangers, shackles. More I am forgetting.

KISS

Last edited:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I am interested, and plan to follow which ever way you guys go. I am always happy to see another 4wd Suburban.

Keep the build posts detailed, and pic heavy.

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome.

Yeah do the frame swap as mentioned above, KISS method.

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey Guys thank you for the info I have been away for a bit for school but I went to go look at a late 70s K20 suburban today for the swap I like it because it has all the trim I need however I am wondering if the body mounts are the same a buddy of mine said that they did a few running changes. my body is a 1988 and it would be going on a late 70's K20 frame any help with info would be appreciated. I will post pics if I get it.

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
P.S. a couple of weeks ago it was in the single digits and it dipped into the negatives overnight and the suburban was the only thing that would start. I didn't try my Mustang because it was blocked in by my TDI. wasn't happy that my " good daily" didn't start but my 31-year-old **** box did.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
I may be wrong but I believe there is a big difference between '88 and a late '70s. I have a '78 if you need me to take any measurements.

Like the others said though, body swap onto a 4x4 frame is the easiest way. If you don't get a donor vehicle I know ORD and DIY4x sell a bunch of stuff you will need..Spring hangars, engine crossmember, tranny/t-case mounts, steering.

1988_bourbon

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I may be wrong but I believe there is a big difference between '88 and a late '70s. I have a '78 if you need me to take any measurements.

Like the others said though, body swap onto a 4x4 frame is the easiest way. If you don't get a donor vehicle I know ORD and DIY4x sell a bunch of stuff you will need..Spring hangars, engine crossmember, tranny/t-case mounts, steering.
if you could take measurements I would appreciate it a lot. if they are way off its not the end of the world the guy had a couple that were my vintage but I kind of like the idea of having a 3/4 ton. the ones that were in the mid to late 80s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990