Stupid, difficult electrical failure solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here's a strange problem. It took a while to debug this one!

I was sitting in the truck with the engine running on a very cold day this week, waiting in a restaurant parking lot for the missus to join me for supper. I had the heater blower running on LOW till the engine warmed up, then on MED, finally on HI. And then it stopped, like it had been turned off. All three speeds gone.

I waited until it warmed up a bit the next day to look at it. Logic says it has to be something between the fusebox and the blower switch on the dash, or between the blower resistor on the firewall and the blower motor, including the blower motor itself and its connection to ground.

I performed various tests, and determined the following:

- Connecting the blower motor directly to battery positive, the blower motor fires up and runs just fine. So the blower motor and its ground are OK.

- Taking the blower resistor connector off the firewall and injecting battery power into the blower motor contact, the blower runs just fine, so the harness between the blower motor resistor and the blower motor, including the arc-noise-suppression coil on the firewall, is fine.

- I replaced the heater fuse on general principles. The old one looked like it might have been original with the truck.

- Pulling the instrument bezel and measuring the voltage at the blower motor switch, I had 0V, 13V, and 14.5V respectively with the ignition off, the ignition on, and the ignition on with the motor running.

- Jumpering the connector positions on the blower motor switch connector (LOW wire to MED wire, LOW wire to HI wire) made no difference. No blower function.

WTF! That is all of the elements common to all three speeds.

It's very uncommon, but it could be a wire failure. I measured the resistance of each wire segment, and found that the wire from the blower resistor connector to the arc-noise-suppression coil was broken inside the insulation about an inch back from the blower resistor connector, where it made the bend from vertical to horizontal to go into the connector.

I had tested this in the second step above, but when I took the connector off and twisted it around 180 degrees to jumper battery power into it, the break reconnected. When I twisted it back around to plug it back onto the blower resistor, it disconnected again. I found that when I bent it a certain way, it would work, and when I bent it back, it would disconnect.

My surmise now is that when I got into the truck and it was cold, it was working OK, and as the truck warmed up, and the radiator electric fan started cycling while I was idling in the parking lot, the temperature change, plus the current through it when I switched to high, allowed the wire to move enough to disconnect, or blew out the final strand of wire remaining on a progressive failure.

I took another look at the connector between the blower motor resistor and the arc-noise-suppression coil. This is a weatherproof connector maybe 8 inches straight up from the resistor connector, and a couple inches from the coil. This weatherproof connector had the "bell" of the female connector pointed straight up.

So while it would shed most water, whatever water collected at the seam of the connector could work its way down into the connector, and into the insulation of the wire, and collect in the bottom of the wire, where it turned the corner. And over decades it rotted the conductor inside the insulation.

How's that for a tough one to find! Note that it is failure by design, and is an incipient failure whenever you have a weatherproof connector oriented to catch water instead of shed it.

Anyway, I put in a new wire. And I redid the connection with a normal crimp female connector so there is a heat shrink on the male part of the connector that hangs down over the female to shed water instead of collect it.

I also took the opportunity of having the dash open to replace the existing, broken and marginally functional heater control assembly with a repro version from a mail-order supplier (plug and play, looks identical to the original).

The first photo is the fixed wiring. I am pointing to the place where the wire broke internally. The second photo is the broken wire. It looks short because it is tipped toward the camera so you can see the bell of the female open at the top. This wire is broken internally at the 90 degree corner at the bottom.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Dadof2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1991 , 1981
Truck Model
R1500 Chevy Sub, C20
Engine Size
350 in both trucks
Good find! Currently experiencing similar problems.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What kind of problems? I have been all through that system, and can draw the wiring diagram from memory right now.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
thanks for that info, thats just what i was looking for ... my blower doesnt turn on at all, the blower motor looks new, maybe it was never hooked up after it was replaced? the fuse under the dash was blown, still not working after i put a new fuse in. guess ill try to fix it this weekend when i have time to work on it

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
So I played with the switch after plugging it back in and it came on! Low,med, high worked. Then the red gen idiot light came on. I switched it off and unplugged the blower motor again. Dash light went off. Wth? I have bigger issues to deal with than no heat at the moment. I went to leave work today and it ran like ****, almost like it's flooding out, idle sounded kinda ****** too, oh and to top it off there was a pool of oil on the floor. I did just add some but didn't spill any... I'm gonna have to climb under there later and look. The tranny cooler lines are touching my exhaust, that can't be good either smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin