stumbling a bit. need direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

straub

Reaction score
First Name
pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok, i got the truck and it would run but they had the idle turned way up to make that possible. so once i brought it back to a normal idle it burped and chugged til it shut off. so i tried to check the timing best i could cause there is no tab. also went through the plug wires, found one that was completely broke and two others that were barely hangin on, fixed those. all 8 are firing,cap and rotor look decent. adjusted air fuel on front of carter comp series carb. there is no choke on it? maybe thats the reason for the idle being up? it is running much better than it was but still is missing and studdering at idle. revs up fine with a little backfire but maybe because the exhaust is cut off three feet behind the headers? also kkep shutting off. it will fire right back up and run fine for like 90 seconds then just die? planning on rebuilding the carb, i think this is the cause of most of it. don't know much about carbs. but seems like it is clogged up and then just runs out of gas. any ideas? just trying to get it easier to pull in and out of the shop. thanx

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I'd replace cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires. Replace fuel filter, and run a good gas additive in the tank. If you don't see a choke, that could definitely be a lot of your problems, especially depending on the temperature. Change the oil and filter and drain and fill the radiator.

Try that and report back

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

straub

Reaction score
First Name
pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, was hoping it was something missing cause not sure if I’m using the motor yet? So don’t wanna put any big amount of money into it yet. I’ll look into it. Thanx

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
No choke will cause the sputtering and dying, especially in cold weather with a cold motor. Start it up and put your hand partially over the carb to restrict some air flow. The idle should come up. If it still dies like this I would definitely consider new cap/rotor/plugs/wires. Unless you plan on doing the motor right away it's a worth while investment.

straub

Reaction score
First Name
pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok thanx for the help. will try that and see what it does

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
No choke will cause the sputtering and dying, especially in cold weather with a cold motor. Start it up and put your hand partially over the carb to restrict some air flow. The idle should come up. If it still dies like this I would definitely consider new cap/rotor/plugs/wires. Unless you plan on doing the motor right away it's a worth while investment.
Good advice here but before you buy a new cap, inspect the current one (after removing it) and scrape off the oxidation on the flat posts. Get them to down to clean metal and don't worry if you scratch/gouge them up a bit... they like that!

straub

Reaction score
First Name
pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i looked at the cap and cleaned up the flat spots before? thinkin of throwing amanual choke control on it for now and seeing if that helps. thanx for the tip

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
ok, i got the truck and it would run but they had the idle turned way up to make that possible. so once i brought it back to a normal idle it burped and chugged til it shut off. so i tried to check the timing best i could cause there is no tab. also went through the plug wires, found one that was completely broke and two others that were barely hangin on, fixed those. all 8 are firing,cap and rotor look decent. adjusted air fuel on front of carter comp series carb. there is no choke on it? maybe thats the reason for the idle being up? it is running much better than it was but still is missing and studdering at idle. revs up fine with a little backfire but maybe because the exhaust is cut off three feet behind the headers? also kkep shutting off. it will fire right back up and run fine for like 90 seconds then just die? planning on rebuilding the carb, i think this is the cause of most of it. don't know much about carbs. but seems like it is clogged up and then just runs out of gas. any ideas? just trying to get it easier to pull in and out of the shop. thanx

i looked at the cap and cleaned up the flat spots before? thinkin of throwing amanual choke control on it for now and seeing if that helps. thanx for the tip

My knee jerk reaction is that the carb has clogged up idle jets and will need to be rebuilt before it runs right. But I couple things first. Carter (and Edlebrock) built chokeless carbs, but they are not common and would not have the choke butterfly. If the choke butterfly is there then it needs to be hooked up to something either manual or electric.

If this were my truck or a customer at the shop I'd go at it like this. tune-up first, replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter, a look at what comes out of the fuel filter as that can give you a big clue about the condition of the tank(s). If possible do a compression test while the plugs are out. This gives you a base of good stuff to start with. Then check the EGR valve to see if it is leaking, if it's ok check for vacuum leaks, check the lines, manifold, booster and don't over look the charcoal canister as a possible leak source. Then rebuild the carburetor or update to a new edlebrock performer, which is the same carb by the way.

Back firing is most likely because of the exhaust cut off.

dwainsworth

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
2 cents worth since your issue is at idle.
Vacuum Advance?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk