Strange steering issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
So lately I've been noticing my power steering gets stiff at idle after about a 15 to 20 minute drive, so once it warms up, however if I give it a little throttle it comes right back.
Any ideas?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pump starting to go out? They don’t work as well at low rpms when they’re not 100%.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
if you put a ps cooler in, you would prob see improvement. beings that you arent in a tropical environment, im going to go ahead and say you got a weak pump.

FIRST FIRST FIRST is your fluid ok? Clear/Red, no debris, right level? Vent in cap is okay?

First thing first, assuming you still have v belts, check tension(hell even serp) is it slipping on the pulley?

if that is good, pulbelt off, check shaft for play. pump pulley and shaft shouldnt be wobbly or in out/side side machine, should be firmly set.

if that is good, i would flush your PS system and install a cooler, if a square, any universal can work but if a gmt 400, a stock rad-placed ps one would be easiest to fit. it screws into the core support.

if problem persists but all checked, i would check your pressure with a ps pressure tester. if pressure bad, pump replace. if pressure good, you have a fluid flow problem in your gearbox(check for binding or other issues in steering components, like underinflated tires.)

Some have used seafoam trans fluid conditioner/cleaner, you would be removing some PS fluid, substituintg. driving for a day or so, flush whole system etc. if you have gunked up valves.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
High pressure line could be partially collapsed internally also.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
Pump starting to go out? They don’t work as well at low rpms when they’re not 100%.
Crazy thing is, the pump, lines, and box were all replaced about a year ago. lol.

I was thinking the pump might be taking a dump.
Crappy reman parts we get now days.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Crazy thing is, the pump, lines, and box were all replaced about a year ago. lol.

test not guess
i haad an AC delcoi pressure line fail out of the bag.

as in, i tried to thread into the gear and it literally broke the threads.

so i got a cheap dollar store alternative. seems to work still.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Do you drive it much? I'll second the reman parts thing. Put 4 alternators in a Tahoe last year before I got one that lasted longer than 3 months or 3 seconds!
And not just reman. Buddy put new fuel pump on small block. Arm snapped less than 500 miles later. Replaced. "New" one made it 3/4 of the way around the block and not pumping. Arm not broke. 3rd mechanical fuel pump in less than 500 miles.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I just installed a Delco reman pump last night. It said “remanufactured in Mexico,” and right then and there I expected trouble. It was whiny and stiff at idle. I thought it was the PS pump knocking, but turns out it was the water pump. I reinstalled the almost 31 year old pump with 205K miles, and it was as quiet as a mouse. Sad, I’ll probably have to get it cottage remanufactured when it or any others decide to die.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not really, only when it rains or when I need to tow.
Only when it rains? So like from October through May, and today too? lol

Last edited:

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
So lately I've been noticing my power steering gets stiff at idle after about a 15 to 20 minute drive, so once it warms up, however if I give it a little throttle it comes right back.
Any ideas?

Had the exact same issue with my PS Pump. As far as I know it was the factory pump. Replaced it with a reman unit from Napa about a year ago. Also replaced the seeping lines while I had it apart.
Has worked perfectly ever since.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

I have a similar problem but with brand new radiator hoses. When the weather was warm a weird thing showed up again I thought was just some fluke. The radiator hose will weep fluid the whole length of the hose enough to slightly drip onto the engine and compartment. The hoses are new, a nd the heater hoses do the same thing and they were bought the same time as the rad. hoses. Gates rubber!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gewil