1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stormin Norman Tank

Discussion in '2wd Pick-Ups C/R 20 2500 C/R 30 3500' started by Tank6x2, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Tank6x2

Tank6x2 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Been in progress for about a year, trucks been in the family 23 years to date, take insights and give you opinions if asked for...Fully Licenced Journeyman Welder and Heavy Equipment Technician in Edmonton Alberta Canada. In the process of slamming it down and customizing suspension components placing this unit on bags, it was dads idea but I have to follow it through to the end. Look forward to hearing from anyone who has something to say.

Attached Files:

2. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Rear Suspension Tank

Cutting, tacking fabrication of the rear C Notch, 4", made from 17"&8" diameter schedule 60(3/8"wall). Heat spread evenly throughout during welding, I suggest if you start welding something similar to this, plan a few hours out and let the misses intervene in your plans. Started by figuring out where the bottom C needed to be, enscribed in soap stone, from there located the top portion of existing frame to cut out for the the top portion of the notch, removed the top portion of frame and slowly cut with a zip cut, as straight as possible. Once this top piece is removed Tack weld (3/4") the upper C Notch into place, once tacked cut out the lower C Notch previously marked out with a zip disc, slowly cutting the arch leaving a overlap to weld. Most likely a Four link with a pan hard going in from Welder Series, a piece together suspension company you weld together, not a final decision as of yet.

Attached Files:

3. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Stormin Tank Front Suspension

Front Suspension, no clearance issues with any of tierods or linkages after slamming it to the floor. Where I start to see the issues are in the upper A Arm ball joint being on to steep of a angle, binding when steering side to side, solution or so I think to be, remove the front suspension bracket rivets, pneumatic hammer with a chisel bit trying to avoid scarring up the face of the bracket, cutting a 5/8" plate steel into a accomadating shape, and slicing a 5/8" swath out of the bracket to allow room for the new plate, going on the same angle for the upper A Arm mounting press fit bolts, hoping this plate will provide enough rigidity for Forces from the steering components...this will ultimately change the caster from 7• to 11• of caster in total, but this dimension is adjustable until I drill the holes for the press in bolts.

Attached Files:

4. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Turn your head you'll see it lol

5. 1987 GMC Jimmy

1987 GMC Jimmy Automobile Hoarder

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    I don't know if this is why you named your truck what you did, but I'm just gonna leave this here anyway.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/weekend-update-segment---chris-farley-as-norman-schwarzkopf/n10081?snl=1

6. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Hahaha..ha...

No Dave, it is not...it is Dave.....Right?

7. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    More Pics

Random order

Attached Files:

8. 1987 GMC Jimmy

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    My name? Jesse. Lol

9. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Jesse, name is Kurt, Stormin Normin Tank is not after the great Chris Farleys Skit, its actually the one of many nick names for my late father, he had another, "old one eye" - this was for a great bar prank he would pull, when I was young he had lost his right eye to diabetes, he would go to the bar and bet at least one man that he could bite his eye, buddy would slam his money on the table and dad would pull his right eye (glass) out and bite it, they would laugh and then he would say double or nothing...I'll bet you I can bite the other one! almost every dude who played the game would double down....he would then pull out his teeth, bite his other eye, and his night was paid for...but he was a interesting man, this is all I have, this is it, his truck, his base plans and my skills.

MrMarty51 likes this.
  10. 74 Shortbed

74 Shortbed Full Access Member

First Name:
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    Cool story..

11. 1987 GMC Jimmy

First Name:
    Jesse
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V1500 Jimmy
    Engine Size:
    Yeah, that is a cool story. Thanks for sharing. I just lost my dad less than two months ago. Bar none the closest I've ever been to another person. I feel you on that one.

12. Oldrider

Oldrider Full Access Member

First Name:
    Jerry
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k2500
    Engine Size:
    Great story about your dad.
    Keep up the work on the truck.

13. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Front Suspension Update

Thank you to all those that commented, I am using this forum to keep more on top of this project...Needed to replace the press in bolts for the upper A-Arm bracket; ended up using a splined bolt from the hub of newer dodge as it was slightly longer than original to accommodate the new vertical 5/8" mounting plate, used the template and a 15/32" drill bit to drill the first set of frame holes, tacked the two plates together and drilled into the second plate. Took this plate to TOP GUN Machine in Nisku Alberta, on the recommendation of a friend, they took my plates, template, removed and cleaned A-Arm Bracket, splined press fit bolts and went above and beyond what I asked for, what I got back was not only a proper fit, but they also chamfered all the previously drilled holes as well and then to boot said "it would cost more to do the paperwork than what it's worth" didn't charge me for it all, so I brought these guys in a case beer to show my appreciation! Brought everything back to the garage and started the fitment process...I had trouble once before this evening trying to post a massive blog so I'm breaking it down into segments bear with me...

Attached Files:

14. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Front Suspension Update

F.S.U. 1.1...Mounted the original bracket to the top spring mounting cup using 3/8" x1-1/2" Shouldered Grade 8 bolts, Thick Regular Washers and Stover Nuts, snugged up 2 ensured the others moved freely in and out of the holes, fastened those two loosened the other two confirmed they too moved freely, mounted the the vertical 5/8" A-Arm mounting bracket using 7/16"x 2" Shouldered Grade 8 bolts, Thick Regular Washers and Stover Nuts, snugged up 2 ensured the others moved freely in and out of the holes, fastened those two loosened the other two confirmed they too moved freely, fastened all remaining loose bolts, dragged the MIG Welder out, and tack welded the two in 5 spots starting in the centre working my way outwards, removed the newly tacked bracket for preheat...

Attached Files:

15. Tank6x2

First Name:
    Kurt
    Truck Year:
    79/86
    Truck Model:
    C30
    Engine Size:
    Front Suspension UpdateF.S.U. 1.2....Preheating this component, well number of ways y

F.S.U. 1.2....Preheating this component, well number of ways you can do this, Oxy-Acetylene Torch, Propane Tiger Torch, your oven...seriously no joke, the wife's oven has been used before! And it will be again, (NOBODY TELL HER!, I'M JUST THANKFUL SHE WORKS SHIFT WORK SOME DAYS OTHERWISE I'D BE UP SHIT CREEK WITHOUT A PADDLE AND PLUMBING IS NOT MY STRONG SUIT!!), each have their merits, oven is gradual but time consuming, Oxy-Acetylene is the quickest and have the most other uses but, cylinders...permits...home... safety....insurance....list goes on but it does provide a nice even heat that does not induce a lot of particulates back into the surface of the material, but in this instance picked myself up a cheap regulator/tiger torch assembly, bottle of propane out of the BBQ and I'm golden...Now I'm pretty sure I know what some of you will say to this 5/8" thick plate, your adding weight, it's too heavy you don't need it that thick, well first off, I looked at 1/2" realized I'd be above the frame with the new holes and I wasn't sure exactly the type of fatigue or strain I'd see in the front after changing the caster angle by 4• and moving the wheel back by 3/8", to be fair I looked at as high as 3/4" plate and realized there is such a thing as"there's no kill like over kill!", but on the same wave length "I'd rather be looking at it, than for it"...Short story "Engineers need heroes too" as I'd rather slightly add a little extra poundage than bust something while in transport...;))