Storage boxes question: Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
one thing I notice on the suburban vs a newer car, lack of cubbies. my daily has cubbies under the floor for the donut and jack and roadside stuff and my hitch n ball and stuff.

so my thinking is the dead space between the wheel humps and the backseat (not using the 3rd row)
build a couple of shallow boxes, like speaker boxes there. then you have a spot to put the things one keeps in an old vehicle (water, coolant, ps fluid, pair of pantyhose/spare belts) or at least I do lol. to keep that stuff from just going wherever it pleases.

my google-fu has failed me for any pictures, aside from the large floor drawer boxes. so if any of you fine folk have done similar i'd really love to see

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
i have a couple old milk crates with all that stuff in them behind the 3rd seat, opposite side of the spare tire

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I made a storage box on passenger side opposite of the spare tire on my old suburban. And 3rd row was still functional as well

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
i have a couple old milk crates with all that stuff in them behind the 3rd seat, opposite side of the spare tire

I do the same. It works great for me.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
No pics, but the 91 I had did not have a 3rd row seat from GM. My dad built a box that had a slope to match that of the rear seat, and I had a local hardware store - back when those existed- match the interior trim paint.

Had a latch and a pad lock, and grab handles on both end. With the chain and all the other emergency stuff in there - jack, fire starting stuff, basic tools, yada yada yada it weighed so much you weren't going to just grab it and go.

Pretty handy.

Went with that truck- probably helped sell it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Back in the 90's I had something similar to this in my K5. Made by DeeZee. It's designed for pickups, but they say they have styles for 6 and 8' beds. Lid can lift from either side. Not cheap at $179.

https://www.deezee.com/product/wheel-well-tool-box-poly-plastic/

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
Milk crates are handy but was thinking to step it up a notch. I like the Deezee box you linked.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) has some black, heavy duty totes for like $20 or so, that's been my go-to for a few vehicles...maybe a half step above milk crates, lol... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406