Stock Dually Backspacing etc specs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Looks like I've got 3 bent rims, so I'm looking into new ones.

Does anybody know the specs for the original dually wheels on my 86? Backspace/Offset/Etc?

Currently I have the 16" wheels. That's all I know lol.

Help is much appreciated.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I looked in a few different places and came up with this. Wheels are 16x6" with an offset of 127mm. The Hollander number is 01620B.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
So I've been debating going to 17" wheels as I'm thinking tires will be more widely available for longer - or am I wrong in this?

I'm looking at wheels with these specs:

Front: 17x6.5, 115 offset, 124.5 bore (see pics below)
Rear Inner: 2003 Dodge steel 17x6, 136 offset, 121mm bore
Rear Outer: 17x6.5, -137 offset, 124.5 bore (see pics below)

Will this setup work? I know that something is going on with inner/outer rears needing to be hub/lug centric. Any info on that?

Will the dodge wheels work for the inners?

This is a total stab in the dark!

These are the wheels I am looking at for the fronts and rear outers:

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Since I'm retired an have a lot of time on my hands, here's some info. I think OEM 16" sizes like 215/85R16, 235/85R16 and 245/75R16 will be around for a long time. I think my old '87 C30 ran the 215's.

With regards to the 17's, the differences in offsets the front will move out about 1/2". The inner rear will move about 3/8" towards the frame. The wheel and drum profile will determine if this will fit. The outer rear will move out about 3/8". The OEM hub bores are 116mm. You will definitely need hub centric rings. If you went with the Dodge inners, you may have to have those bores machined to match the Visions so they are the same.

When I had my CTS-V it didn't have a spare. I had to piece together a kit to run a compact spare if I needed to. I used a spacer made by US Wheel Adapter so the front wheel would clear the front caliper. It was a nice quality piece.

They make custom aluminum hub centric rings. They didn't show any standard pieces in the size you would need. Here's the link.

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/shop/hub-centric-rings-aluminum/

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Since I'm retired an have a lot of time on my hands, here's some info. I think OEM 16" sizes like 215/85R16, 235/85R16 and 245/75R16 will be around for a long time. I think my old '87 C30 ran the 215's.

With regards to the 17's, the differences in offsets the front will move out about 1/2". The inner rear will move about 3/8" towards the frame. The wheel and drum profile will determine if this will fit. The outer rear will move out about 3/8". The OEM hub bores are 116mm. You will definitely need hub centric rings. If you went with the Dodge inners, you may have to have those bores machined to match the Visions so they are the same.

When I had my CTS-V it didn't have a spare. I had to piece together a kit to run a compact spare if I needed to. I used a spacer made by US Wheel Adapter so the front wheel would clear the front caliper. It was a nice quality piece.

They make custom aluminum hub centric rings. They didn't show any standard pieces in the size you would need. Here's the link.

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/shop/hub-centric-rings-aluminum/

Oh wow, so it seems as though swapping to 17s is a much bigger project than I expected. Add to that the obvious cost of new tires all around and... well. Its a pain.

So the same company that makes the above wheels makes them in 16" as well, with the exact same specs. Knowing that, it looks like I would need to order a set of hub centric rings to make them fit. If OE was 116mm and the new wheels are 124.5, then I would need 8.5mm spacers. Seems pretty simple right?

I'm currently running 235/85R16s on the back, and 245s up front (I think. They are wider though). I could just swap them over to the new wheels right?

Craig I gotta say thanks for all the info. I appreciate the time you took to write all that up for me. I had no idea where I could find all that info!

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think your correct on the hub ring. Yes your tires will swap right over to the other 16's. I had my dually in the early 90's. I had an Alcoa knockoff type wheel. I remember running the factory steel ring on the wheels because that is what the center caps attached to.

I looked on Summit Racing and they show these rims are 60 degree conical seat. As long as your inner wheel is tight on the hub, you should just be able to run conical lug nuts without the factory retainers. I would call Vision to verify. I know in my SRW K30 all the aftermarket wheels have larger hub centers and rely on the conical lug nut to center the wheels.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-181h6681cf
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-181h6681cr

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I think your correct on the hub ring. Yes your tires will swap right over to the other 16's. I had my dually in the early 90's. I had an Alcoa knockoff type wheel. I remember running the factory steel ring on the wheels because that is what the center caps attached to.

I looked on Summit Racing and they show these rims are 60 degree conical seat. As long as your inner wheel is tight on the hub, you should just be able to run conical lug nuts without the factory retainers. I would call Vision to verify. I know in my SRW K30 all the aftermarket wheels have larger hub centers and rely on the conical lug nut to center the wheels.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-181h6681cf
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vsw-181h6681cr

I posted up in a thread I've been running about an ongoing vibration issue, but since it seems related to tires/wheels I thought I would post here too. You seem to know your stuff Craig so any info would be helpful:

On a dually, are both wheels meant to be hub-centric? Are they both meant to ride on the 1/2" (roughly) machined ridge on the hub?

I ask because I noticed that while the OEM inner wheels fit over the inner hub "ridge" and sit against the flat hub bolting surface, the aftermarket wheels (that have been on the truck since before I got it years ago) have smaller hub holes and will NOT fit over the "ridge". I could never swap the wheels inner-to-outer for this reason. I noticed that the ridge appears to protrude beyond the inner wheel when it is installed, which makes me wonder what it is doing to the outer wheel when I torque it down.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I know on my pictured truck those wheels still used the factory retainer ring and conical lugs. I haven't owned a dually in about 25 years, so I'm not much help. I recall those retainers having pins on them, but I don't remember if that helped center the custom wheels. I know my center caps fit over the retainer.

I know on my K30, the 2000 & up wheels I have don't fit well over the hubs. I've read where guys using these wheels and H2 wheels have had them machined for more clearance. If your outter is not flush it could cause a side to side wobble or out of round issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg