Stock A/C not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi everyone.

I would welcome some advise on how to get cold air flowing into my cab. The truck was sitting outside on the dirt for over 13 years before I decided to rescue it about five months ago. I have finally got it in pretty good running condition and passed state inspection. The heater works and the blower works on all three speeds. The truck has a little over 52k on it which I know is original mileage.

All of the A/C parts are in place but the system has no pressure. There was a tag in the glove box showing the system was retrofitted to R134a. The compressor looks pretty rough with a lot of rust on it. Was this a good A/C system and is it worth trying to save? I'd rather not replace the whole system, especially the condenser, evaporator and controls if I don't have to and would like to get it working well before I head to the body shop.

Thanks to all who reply and be safe, especially on this last day of the year.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Clean flush the system, new dryer, orifice tube and a sanden compressor would make it work.
Can try using existing compressor but check if it will even spin by trying to turn clutch by hand.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Clean flush the system, new dryer, orifice tube and a sanden compressor would make it work.
Can try using existing compressor but check if it will even spin by trying to turn clutch by hand.

Never tried that - can you turn one by hand ?

OP - the factory A/C system IMHO worked fine, but having one w/ 134 in it now I can say it will not blow as cold, especially at idle, than the R12 did. I hear, but have not tried it yet, that a Ford Blue orifice helps in that regard.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
With 134 and r4 using blue orifice tube worked fine for me except in one idle situation. Middle of Texas summer sitting in the sun for half a day and then starting up and not moving. Sanden made that scenario acceptable, but that is a hard task for any automotive ac system.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Thread moved out the intro subforum and into a more appropriate subforum

Colin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
350 cu. in.
Put a vacuum pump on it and see if it will hold a vacuum.
Also look for oily deposits around the compressor and other fittings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr