Stepside Tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
Previous owner of my truck had an upholstery shop make a vinyl snap on tonneau years ago that is shrinking and I can't get all the snaps snapped.

I like the looks of the cover, and I think it sets my truck apart from other stepsides without being obnoxious. Besides that it protects the all original wood in the bed and anything I want to carry.

I am waiting for a price from an upholster for a new vinyl cover, but had another restoration guy say I should get a body color fiberglass cover instead. I think the fiberglass would look too modern on this old truck.
I would also have all the snap holes to either weld shut, or as he suggested put stainless screws in as placeholders in case I want to go back to a snap on cover in the future.

A new vinyl cover will shrink over time, but if I get 20 years out of it, it might be worth it.

I hear canvas covers cost a lot more and will also shrink.

Any thoughts or comments? Does anyone else have a cover on their stepside and how does it look?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lay the top out in the sun for and hour or 2 and let it heat up then put it on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Besides an upholstery shop, you can check with a tarp/canopy shop.

I'd stick with the same setup you have now.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I think fiberglass is completely appropiate. That paint job kills any "nostalgic" look you were going for, imo but hay, make it easy on yourself!

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
I think fiberglass is completely appropiate. That paint job kills any "nostalgic" look you were going for, imo but hay, make it easy on yourself!

Actually, Rusty it's the original base color, Tangier Orange. I haven't decided whether I will put the stripes back on it to bring it back to factory.

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I say definitely put the stripes back on. You just don't see the sport paint jobs anymore.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I like the tonneau myself. My father in law has a hard cover on a newer Chevy. It's nice you can lock it, but its a pain when you want to haul something that doesn't fit under the cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl