Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC_Nick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350 sbc
Hey guys need help finding the right hardware to mount and assemble and mount a 73-87 stepside bed. Going from an 8ft fleet to a 8ft stepside. Every bolt kit I've found is backordered with no estimated time. If someone could help me figure out the sizes of the bolts and nuts and how many I'd need you'd be saving me a big one. Got the bed off a guy completely disassembled and with the absolute minimum in terms of hardware so I don't have much reference. I don't care about using the same square head nuts or it being perfectly original, just need stuff that's close and comes in stainless steel. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most of the sheet metal is just held together with 5/16" body bolts, with free spinning washers. Except for the exposed bolts holding the fenders to the bedsides, those are countersunk bolts. Iirc, older trucks were large Phillips, later trucks were Torn.

The bolts holding the strips and wood down, that will depend on what you are working with. My strips are home made out of flat stock and are held down with button-head 1/4" hardware since there's no square holes. It's a 2-person job to assemble it that way. My main bed mounting bolts are just carriage bolts I got from the hardware store. It's been too long, I don't recall the lengths of anything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128