Step bumper help….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1984k20

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Is there anyone that can tell me what could possibly go here on this step bumper ?
The hole is only 1” in diameter.
Too small for a trailer hook up.

I’m wanting to get this powder coated & I need to figure out if I should weld a plug in it beforehand.

Thanks, for any response.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You must be registered for see images attach
Is there anyone that can tell me what could possibly go here on this step bumper ?
The hole is only 1” in diameter.
Too small for a trailer hook up.

I’m wanting to get this powder coated & I need to figure out if I should weld a plug in it beforehand.

Thanks, for any response.

Mine had a hole like that for the winch remote plug

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Some trailer light/wiring connections used a different style outlet that was smaller in diameter. i'm having a brain fart at the moment on the "style" its called but I had one similar on my truck that I removed. it was just a round 4 pole that was running lights and left/right turn and I believe ground and that was it. Or it could've been for a trailer dump controller or some other use. So i'd say either buy a new round connector for a 7 pin configuration and modify the bumper to accept it before powder coating or seal it up, smooth it out and forget about it.

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Some trailer light/wiring connections used a different style outlet that was smaller in diameter. i'm having a brain fart at the moment on the "style" its called but I had one similar on my truck that I removed. it was just a round 4 pole that was running lights and left/right turn and I believe ground and that was it. Or it could've been for a trailer dump controller or some other use. So i'd say either buy a new round connector for a 7 pin configuration and modify the bumper to accept it before powder coating or seal it up, smooth it out and forget about it.
charge wire connections, antique proprietary trailer hookups, etc

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed, that's from an old and obsolete trailer plug. Probably a round 4 or 5 pin.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like an old tag light fixture was there at one time,smaller than the one that is there now

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Agreed, that's from an old and obsolete trailer plug. Probably a round 4 or 5 pin.
Ive seen a 4 round pin around here somewhere and ive never sat and thought about it but somehow i just knew that is what it was. weird.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ive seen a 4 round pin around here somewhere and ive never sat and thought about it but somehow i just knew that is what it was. weird.

Yeah, I've got a couple old plugs kicking around. They are the round style, with a steel body and two mounting ears.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yeah, I've got a couple old plugs kicking around. They are the round style, with a steel body and two mounting ears.
i think my winch for my car trailer utilizes that plug for the controller, but i could be misremembering. I know my utv winch has 3 pins in the same style for its remote

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
in addition to the stock ones?
By the imprint on the bumper the imprint looks like a taglight type fixture was there,for whatever reason

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@1984k20,

No, you are all wrong. It's the license plate light hole, for the light fixture. There should be one on each side. Some did have just one and the other hole did sometimes have the trailer plug. But it's the license plate light. Get one and put it in there.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@1984k20,

No, you are all wrong. It's the license plate light hole, for the light fixture. There should be one on each side. Some did have just one and the other hole did sometimes have the trailer plug. But it's the license plate light. Get one and put it in there.
that is a very very small license plate light..., in that case. are we presuming the shiny one is not an original hole or part, and it was probably added to both sides for symmetry and better lighting

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looking at the photo again, I was the one who is wrong because there's the big a** license plate light there to the right of the hole. I agree with the other posters that it is the hole for the trailer plug.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl