Steering gearbox spacers location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zciman

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hi, I bought a 82 K20 a year ago and the bolts on the steering gearbox broke soon after. I bought new bolts and found the spacers on the frame and on the ground. It seems like the bolt should go through the spacer, and then through the frame and then into the gearbox. This is what I did a year ago and now the bolts broke again, and now someone is telling me the spacers go between the frame and the gearbox, but that way seems like it pushes the gearbox out of line.. Can someone confirm where the spacers go? Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You had it correct, they DO NOT go between the frame and box. The spacers simply give room for more bolt stretch, so they don't break.

What grade bolts did you use, what did you torque them to, and have you checked the frame for cracks?

ucs75

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
I was wondering about those spacers myself. Would I even need them with new Grade-8 bolts?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was wondering about those spacers myself. Would I even need them with new Grade-8 bolts?

Yes. For even grade 8 bolts to do their job holding such an important piece to the frame, bolt length is critical. The shorter the bolt, the less room it has to stretch and the more likely it is to break.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You had it correct, they DO NOT go between the frame and box. The spacers simply give room for more bolt stretch, so they don't break.

What grade bolts did you use, what did you torque them to, and have you checked the frame for cracks?
^^^^ This

The ones on the cross member too

ucs75

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban
Engine Size
I guess I'll need longer bolts then....
No cracks on my frame, but I welded the side brace on anyway.

Will start sanding and painting the spacers this weekend.

The irony is, that when I watch videos of replacing steering gearboxes, I never see the spacers on disassembly.
Weird.