steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The other day the spring load on my column shifter handle is flapping in the wind any idea's on how to fix this i have tilt steering. Thanks Roy

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you for your help I'll get on it tomarrow

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Shift Handle Control Spring

You must be registered for see images attach

Good price here:

http://www.classicparts.com/1981-94-Shift-Handle-Control-Spring-w_o-Tilt/productinfo/91-132/

Tilt or non-tilt - no matter. Drive the pivot pin (at the base of the shifter handle) out. Use a pick to remove the parts of the broken spring. Use a small pair of long jaw needle nosed pliers to hook the new one into place. Re-install the shifter handle and pivot pin.

Question, does that pivot pin also wear out? Can it be replaced to remove more slop out of the handle? I can clearly see some play in mine.

Posted From Hell

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I doubt the pin itself would wear, but the holes in the "gearshift lever bowl" that it fits into might.

If that were the case, I suppose the hole in the gearshift lever and the upper and lower holes in the bowl could be drilled out to accommodate a split pin with a slightly larger diameter.

Or you could get a whole new shift bowl for about $65:

http://www.steeringcolumnservices.c...ntiac/bowl01-7836007-shift-bowl-with-tilt.php

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think the tip of this shift stick itself can also wear and make a difference.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is slightly off topic but does anyone know where to get the internal gate to convert the tilt column from 3 speed to 4 speed? I know what it looks like in the non-tilt column but not the tilt column.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is slightly off topic but does anyone know where to get the internal gate to convert the tilt column from 3 speed to 4 speed? I know what it looks like in the non-tilt column but not the tilt column.

Are there really different gates in the columns? :shrug: I thought once you got into D/OD then the rest of the way down was dependent on the manual valve detent in the trans on the valve body.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are there really different gates in the columns? :shrug: I thought once you got into D/OD then the rest of the way down was dependent on the manual valve detent in the trans on the valve body.

That's what I thought too until I took apart my non-tilt column to see if I could fix it. As luck would have it, I need a new shift tube and you can't find them unless I buy another donor column...so it's basically junk. Once I figured that out I decided to completely disassemble it to figure out exactly what was involved. After playing with it, it seems that the shift tube housing needed to be relieved so that the bracket attached to the linkage itself could rotate a little more - enough to get into low (apparently the actual distance between park and low is greater on the 4 speed but just a little) which jives with what the GMTiltColumns guy said to me on the phone when I called him a little while back. Other than that I can't find a confirmation on the 'net that this is in fact correct and I can't know for sure until I get the new column (currently waiting on parts) in (a 3speed tilt) and attempt to get it all hooked up.

I also found this

to the far left on the goldish plate is a hard stop that rests on first/low in the 3 speed. Because I think it needs to go a bit further, the stop can't be there but the other half of me thinks that the long distance associated to first in the 3 speed should be enough for both first and second in the 4 speed. If the stop ends up not being an issue, my only other concern is that the various gears, when engaged in the correct location on the transmission, end up being between the gates on the shifter causing it to be difficult to feel them go in and thus making it difficult to actually find the gear by the shifter wanting to stop in between.

Inside the shift cup there's also this "gated" setup but it's not related to the gears, it's related to which position the ignition cylinder is allowed to lock the steering wheel.

After typing this all out I'm thinking maybe I'm worrying too soon and that I should probably get the tilt column in the truck, get the linkage hooked up, and see how the shift points actually are. The fact that I can't find any information about it on the 'net leads me to believe that maybe it's a non-issue.

Last edited:

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
shift lever

placed the new spring in good as new thanks to all roy c

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
placed the new spring in good as new thanks to all roy c

Thanks for the update Roy. Always nice to hear feedback of what corrected a problem. !!! :waytogo: Rep Given !!!

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I've never heard of a difference in the auto colums from overdrive to no overdrive. I knew the indicator on dash was easy to change and the detects for each gear was in transmission. I may have to look into this some more.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've never heard of a difference in the auto colums from overdrive to no overdrive. I knew the indicator on dash was easy to change and the detects for each gear was in transmission. I may have to look into this some more.

I'll know for sure very soon. I have the tilt column completely rebuilt and an OD indicator ready to be installed. I'm skeptical now if there truly is any difference other than the indicator as well after walking a u pull it yard a week ago. I found one that was partially disassembled and took it the rest of the way looking for the piece I thought I needed only to find parts that appeared to be the same (unfortunately my cell was dead so I couldn't take pics and I didn't have my parts to compare). My guess is what I have will work if adjusted correctly.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'll know for sure very soon. I have the tilt column completely rebuilt and an OD indicator ready to be installed. I'm skeptical now if there truly is any difference other than the indicator as well after walking a u pull it yard a week ago. I found one that was partially disassembled and took it the rest of the way looking for the piece I thought I needed only to find parts that appeared to be the same (unfortunately my cell was dead so I couldn't take pics and I didn't have my parts to compare). My guess is what I have will work if adjusted correctly.

It should work alright. I've gone from 3 speed, to 4 speed, and now back to 3 speed in my 84', all with the same column. I was able to access all gears on both transmissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84