Steering Column Sector Gear and Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Have any of you had experience replacing the steering column sector gear and rack for the steering wheel lock feature? Is it a pain to tear apart the steering column to get to the parts? Right now my jeep is dead. I can't even jump start it because I can't shift the transmission out of park in its current state.

On January 31st I heard a very audible cracking sound within the steering column on my 1991 Jeep Cherokee when I got back to work from lunch and turned off the ignition. Went to leave work after my shift and I couldn't turn the key in any way but backwards to the accessory position. The next day I got a lock cylinder for it, tore apart the column at work to replace the lock cylinder, but the original lock cylinder was fine. The problem is further in the column, as the shaft that the lock cylinder turns, won't turn with pliers or the new lock cylinder. My guess is the Sector Gear and/or Rack have failed. Other than this issue the vehicle is a great vehicle, this is the only thing that is keeping it from starting. It runs great and has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I have looked online and it appears Jeep used GM steering column components so I may still be able to get the parts. Some sites say the parts will fit, others say they won't and they all seem to have questions from people with GM vehicles asking if the parts will fit their GM.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Thanks @C10MixMaster It looks a little different from the jeep column, but I can definitely glean some good info from that pdf.

I saw we have a new member @Cameron Covington that used to work on XJ's, and that is what I have here. Maybe Cameron can shed some XJ light on this jeep column issue I am having.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
When I saw the photo of the parts laid out on the table, I about crapped myself...lol...

Cameron Covington

Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Thanks @C10MixMaster It looks a little different from the jeep column, but I can definitely glean some good info from that pdf.

I saw we have a new member @Cameron Covington that used to work on XJ's, and that is what I have here. Maybe Cameron can shed some XJ light on this jeep column issue I am having.
Odd, is the steering wheel locked? There is a sifter interlock that can mess up and do exactly what you are talking about. I have never had any issues out of my columns other than changing the key cylinder. I would look and see if the Jeep has one, I believe those older ones do it was a recall if I remember correctly. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/cherokee-wont-shift-out-park-230248/index2/ heres a thread in the cherokee forum on that issue. I have also heard of people taking a mallet and smacking the end of the key like into the the cylinder just like you were putting the mallet into the cylinder. I know they sell a rebuild kit for the column https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-a...-kit-jeep-cj-wrangler-yj-cherokee-xj-comanche not sure if this would fix your problem or not. Also not 100% how difficult it would be to pull one, I don't think it would be too terribly bad since yours is a pre airbag model (less **** to mess with). I've had friends that were cheap just break the lock mechanism in the steering wheel in trucks and then just rewiring the truck to a switch to start it or to an aftermarket cylinder or move the factory one somewhere else. I don't know what you want to do, but I assume that is an option as well, all be it ghetto.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I left some information out. The clicking sound started the day before but the key still turned. I wanted to hear something on the radio and turned the key past the Lock position into the accessory position and it clicked/popped but would still start and turn off but would click when turned off. Then it did the loud click/pop last Friday, but I was due back to work so I didn't check it. I later found out the key wouldn't turn. The following day I got the parts and commenced to working on it in the work parking lot. All the information I'd read and videos I'd watched up to that point all said the same thing, the lock cylinder was the culprit. Once I got it tore down to replace the lock cylinder, and realized the lock cylinder was just fine. Once I tried to rotate the shaft that is turned by the lock cylinder, that' s when I could see that the pin that locks the steering wheel was stuck in the unlock position, and trying to turn the key made it try to move, but it wouldn't move. Removing the lock cylinder again and trying the same thing with the pliers yielded the same result. So I called the tow truck to tow it home. Fortunately it is steerable so it could be maneuvered into position in the driveway.

I'd prefer to have a factory setup in my rig, not a jerryrigged setup with switches mounted everywhere to bypass the factory wiring.

My jeep doesn't have the brake switch shifter lock out deal that is in that video on the cherokee forum. The shifter is unable to move out of park now, but if I could turn the key to the on position it would shift out of park. All of this makes me suspect it's the sector gear and rack that locks/unlocks the steering wheel.

I was going to order that part from quadratec yesterday but it won't ship until May. If you guys agree that it is the sector gear and rack I will go ahead and order that kit, but I'll get it from Summit as it will ship in a couple weeks not a few months.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
So life has slowed down a bit and I was able to dig into this a little further. I read that entire PDF created by the Jazzman, and wow that is an awesome write up for building a steering column. Clear, concise, lots of pictures, each step well described, etc. After reading that, my shop manual, and watching various videos on tearing down the steering column, I found out I didn't have the tools to get that far into the column. That, and I hadn't ordered the sector gear and rack, which turned out to be a blessing. My local auto parts store where I get my parts on account had the parts available, and the tools. This week I got them, and I figure since I have to tear down the column the same amount as if I was going to fix the wobble, I may as well remove the bolts and add loctite on them while I am in there. Mine isn't loose, but why not keep it tight, because tight is right. The jeep will be back on the road in a couple days, as working on it after is not good, I don't like cooking in the sun. Either tonight or tomorrow it will get pushed under the trees and I can then work on it fully shaded.

I'll report back on how this turn out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg