Steering box valve issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering box and I noticed some pretty serious grooves in the bore where the valve rides (also I'm not a steering box expert so the terminology may be wrong). this would be a deal breaker on an engine and I know it will mess up the teflon seals on the valve eventually, but can I reassemble and run this for a couple months or do I absolutely need to source a new steering box?

Attachments

• IMG_0349.PNG
    IMG_0349.PNG
    587.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0350.PNG
    IMG_0350.PNG
    484.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0351.PNG
    IMG_0351.PNG
    523.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0352.PNG
    IMG_0352.PNG
    604.5 KB · Views: 85

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Its almost too deep to be honed. I know I'm running a risk killing the teflon seals installing the valve again (and two were broken when i pulled it out), but since there's no fore/aft movement and its just rotating, would these grooves mess with anything?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Its almost too deep to be honed. I know I'm running a risk killing the teflon seals installing the valve again (and two were broken when i pulled it out), but since there's no fore/aft movement and its just rotating, would these grooves mess with anything?
i would think without fore/aft movement after install you would probably run most risk from decreased service length of the seal. is that the seal the steering shaft goes into from the column for that part of it? if it is, if the joint, column, and bearing are good, I would think the lack of play would mean it wouldnt leak right away and maybe for some time.(if this seal is not for that nvm)

there is probably a special tool to bore it and sleeve or an oversized piece to insert with new seal, but the cost to do that on your own may exceed just another box.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm in the process of rebuilding my steering box and I noticed some pretty serious grooves in the bore where the valve rides (also I'm not a steering box expert so the terminology may be wrong). this would be a deal breaker on an engine and I know it will mess up the teflon seals on the valve eventually, but can I reassemble and run this for a couple months or do I absolutely need to source a new steering box?
is your steering gear a saginaw 700 or 800 series box? 4 bolt cover
You must be registered for see images attach

The bore of this Saginaw power steering gear is scored beyond service. An attempt to “hone” a cylinder worn this badly will prove futile. A new or rebuildable gear housing is required here.

i found that on a jeep website for a 700-800 series

I would say your best recourse if you cant fix that truly would be another housing unless you want it to just work which you could probably sand down the ridges so they dont tear the seals... but then you will have seal leakage which to my understanding will mean probably some steering effort increase and blowing other seals over time, if not just some leaky mess here or there. :(

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Just for the sake of aggravation and headache, I'd go with a new box.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Thanks guys, I decided to bite the bullet and just get a reman box

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks guys, I decided to bite the bullet and just get a reman box

I was trying to see what grooves you are talking about in your pics. I just rebuilt mine a few weeks ago and the smoother looking rings around the circumference that I can see are actually a raised smooth lip that the teflon seal rides on. That portion of the valve body does NOT move in and out at any time, it rotates on the raised portion that the teflon seal rides on. Mine looked like your pics and I put it back together with the black o-rings backing the new teflon seals in the valve body and it sealed up great and works perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify