Steering box is leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ny steering box seems to be the main culprit for my power steering fluid leak. It seams to be coming out of the bottom of the box. How difficult is it to replace that seal? I’d love to be able to stop putting fluid in every week.

You must be registered for see images attach

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It's not bad. Hardest part is getting the arm off.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Pull the arm off take out the snap ring fill with fluid and start engine (with a pan under the gear) and turn steering wheel lock to lock and it should blow the seals out the bottom. If not then you gotta pick them out. Sometimes a long sheet metal screw into the seal and use that to pry it out

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Pull the arm off take out the snap ring fill with fluid and start engine (with a pan under the gear) and turn steering wheel lock to lock and it should blow the seals out the bottom. If not then you gotta pick them out. Sometimes a long sheet metal screw into the seal and use that to pry it out
A really BIG pan haha.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Do yourself a favor and do a thorough de-grease, then run it and look for fluid.

Almost every injection pump that comes in to the shop for a leak is leaking "from the bottom." 'Cept they're leaking from somewhere else.

Gravity can be very misleading.

Last edited:

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Do yourself a favor and do a thorough de-grease, then run it and look for fluid.

Almost every injection pump that comes in to the shop for a leak is leaking "from the bottom." ''Cept they're leaking from somewhere else.

Gravity can be very misleading.
I’ll do that. I was crawling around today greasing the steering components and saw some fluid on the bottom of the reservoir and on the bottom of the pressure line. But I do feel like the steering box is part of the problem.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I had an ongoing leaky res. The canned ham was worn out basically. There was rust right where the pump O ring seated. Also the tank was gorked from...
well sometimes the pry bar slips... Really was time for a new can. Got a used one and now the tank don't leak... but the box is leaking at the shaft.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
On the subject of PS pumps... if you're buying a 'new' reman pump, before you take it home pop out the pressure valve. The compression nut (not sure what it's called, but under it lives the pressure valve/plunger doodad) should be loose, or almost loose. You might need a wrench so be prepared.
Check that the pressure valve can slide back and forth in the bore. A typical eff up is the valve bore has jiggers in it causing the valve to jam up. And there goes your power steering out the window.
It would be an easy fix, tear apart the pump then run a brake hone in it... but best to expose this jinx in the store before you waste any more time.
Fricken new parts that are junk... what the hell.

Blayne

Reaction score
First Name
Blayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 1-Ton Crew
Engine Size
Hello folks, mine appears to be leaking from the (output) arm seal, but is wet further up. I'd say it's leaking from the input side. The gentleman I bought the truck off of gave me an extra steering box. Would it be worth it to toss it in as it is, or should I rebuild it just for peace of mind?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
If you know that box is good.....

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hello folks, mine appears to be leaking from the (output) arm seal, but is wet further up. I'd say it's leaking from the input side. The gentleman I bought the truck off of gave me an extra steering box. Would it be worth it to toss it in as it is, or should I rebuild it just for peace of mind?
I would rebuild it while it’s out. Save you some time and hassle, especially if it turns out to have issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike