Steel or aluminum wheels for a camper truck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 85 K10 diesel has eagle 16" aluminum alloy wheels. I run 265/75R16 10 ply tires. They look great on the truck. My problem is my slide-in camper. It weighs 1100 lbs. The truck can handle the weight fine with the 3/4 ton springs front and rear. It is the thicker alloy wheels that bother me. The wheel nuts catch 1/2 inch of threads max. Maybe a 1/2 inch is fine. I don't know. I think steel wheels would be thinner and stronger giving me more thread depth on the wheel nuts. I don't know what came stock on 85 K10's. Can't seem to find a definitive answer. Does anyone have any experience with campers and wheel selection? Am I worried about nothing ? Any info or thoughts would be much appreciated .

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
No. You're not worried about nothing, and your concern is genuine.
There are longer lugs to get more grip for aluminum rims.

Go to: https://www.gorilla-auto.com/

They have a great site to help you select the proper lugs.
IIRC it takes a minimum of 3/4" of 'grab' to be safe.

No I don't work for them and am not compensated in any way. I've used Gorilla Lug nuts since I can remember. They make a quality product.

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To capture the full strength of a bolt/stud it needs to engage 100% of the diameter of bolt/stud. I.e. 9/16 stud needs to have 9/16 of thread engagement in order to hold it securely & at full strength.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
This^^

and if you know the pitch, you can count the number of rotations. I think you need 12, iirc

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys, I had no idea they made longer studs for aluminum wheels. Excellent info !!

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When installed the disc conversion on my ff, i used ptc repl. Dorman studs #97120 610-189
3" x 9/16-18

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Echoing what was said above. To answer your other question, yes steel wheels are thinner and allow for more lug nut engagement. That’s one reason I went with steel. I had some aluminum wheels I could have used but I didn’t want to swap lug studs.

Rocky Veley

Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@bigcountry78
I think I will keep the aluminum alloys for regular driving and cruising complete with 4 ply tires for a better ride.. Then , I will buy some steel wheels with 10 ply tires for any big cross country camper runs. If I go with longer studs ( for the aluminum alloy ) that could prevent me from using steel wheels in the future. Not sure about that though. Thanks a ton.

WillB

Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
My 85 K10 diesel has eagle 16" aluminum alloy wheels. I run 265/75R16 10 ply tires. They look great on the truck. My problem is my slide-in camper. It weighs 1100 lbs. The truck can handle the weight fine with the 3/4 ton springs front and rear. It is the thicker alloy wheels that bother me. The wheel nuts catch 1/2 inch of threads max. Maybe a 1/2 inch is fine. I don't know. I think steel wheels would be thinner and stronger giving me more thread depth on the wheel nuts. I don't know what came stock on 85 K10's. Can't seem to find a definitive answer. Does anyone have any experience with campers and wheel selection? Am I worried about nothing ? Any info or thoughts would be much appreciated .
Steel wheels will not be stronger, but they will be cheaper.

Next time you see a heavy truck or tri-axle gravel truck go down the road, have a look at the wheels. Aluminum is lighter, which helps with the weight of the truck, and in no way are they weaker,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr