Static drop for those on an xtreme budget...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, 1st off I want to say that yes I do know there are a bunch of better ways to lower your truck. But this WORKS if you are on an xtreme budget or just don't want to buy a bunch of parts. The big negative here is the ride, I can deal with it fine, as a matter of fact I actually like the way it drives. But it is pretty rough...(its alot of fun when you gots a decently endowed female riding shotgun...)

I have $25 into this so far but it has yet to get the alignment which is another $50 or so. So heres what a $75 lowering job looks like-

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a set of spring perches from NAPA for $25 and me & a buddy spent an afternoon doing a spring under conversion(axle flip). Took out the overloads, there are 3 leaves total in my pack. A before & after measure showed a 6 1/2" drop(BUT I removed overload shocks, that was probly about an inch or so of that.) I haven't got around to cutting out the bumpstops yet and it is sitting right on them. I let out about 10psi and it is hard but bearable. Once I cut out those bumpstops I expect it will drop a little more, but since I like this ride height I'll add a leaf or two to bring it back up. The rear is getting completly re-done soon as I'm going to tub it as soon as I save up the cash for wheels/tires ect...

In the front all I did was cut 1 1/2 coil off each spring. A before & after measure showed a 3" drop. It needs aligned but otherwise this mod is FREE. I'm running the old stock shocks, it is touching the bumpstops but still has plenty of travel to absorb the bumps in the road. Left the swaybar off, don't seem to need it. If this thing settles over time I'll have to buy some springs but till then I'm completly happy with the front lowering/ride.

There ya go- cheap, pretty easy, works. So now nobody has any excuse to have a stock height farmtruck!

:grd:

-John

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I wish I could lower mine. Damn SFA.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
right on! im feelin ya on that... my dad did the same thing to my truck when he had it... cut one coil from the front,.. and pulled the overloads.. and there it is.. a bit rough ridin too.. but when I go long distance.. I toss my toolbox and a 90lb sandbag in back along with the spare.. settles it down.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 414

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
i just wana do a 2/4 drop but i dont want my damn axle hopping when i do them smoke shows a.d shackle and hangers for a 4 inch drop is 200 bucks
im all bout doin it the cheap way

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^you could always run a traction bar if your worried about wheelhop.

FWIW at 1st I tried removing leaves to lower the back of the truck but even with just the main leaf and one regular leaf it only lowered it 2 or so inches. That wasn't enough for me so I went with the flip. If it worked out the same on your truck then pulling all but those 2 leaves and a set of shackles and you'd be right where ya wanna be. Cutting 1 coil in the front is supposed to be a 2" drop...Sounds like a totally cheap drop!

-John

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
well traction bars for trucks are about 200

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just build them yourself if you have access to a welder or someone who does welding. A couple pieces of round or square tubing, some bushings, and some tabs to weld on the axle and some for the frame and your set lol I'm going to build some for this truck, I'll try to post up some pics. Though the ones you buy will likely be prettier for sure hahaha

-John

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
I would Love To see This

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Looks good, especially for that cost. Who gives a **** what it rides like it's all about lookin' cool right? lol

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahaha yeah, I think that unless you spend an assload of money you're gonna have to make sacrifices. The front isn't bad, I'm happy with the ride/drive. The rear is really rough(but bearable) but since I plan on tubbing it in the near future its only temporary.

-John

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
i may just buy the drop shackles and modify my hangers and move them up and cut 1 coil to get my 2/4

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
On snowball, right? Not the jeep I'm hoping :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL