Starter Wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrazyKern

Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350 5.7
Recently bought a '76 C20. Looking at some of the wiring under the hood and came across a lone yellow wire not in a loom or following any other paths that look 'stock'.

I chased the wiring to a set of terminals, where the previous owner jammed the yellow wire into part of a wire harness under the dash. Understandably, this is not correct. I disconnect the yellow wire and the starter won't crank, jam it back into the harness and it works.
You must be registered for see images attach

Figuring the previous owner didn't troubleshoot and bypassed to temp fix the issue.

Looking at the starter, I have the pos battery cable going to one of the starter terminals along with a wire from the main wire loom. Out of that loom is another wire that goes to the other terminal with the yellow wire. Excluding the yellow wire, should the starter have three wires coming into it?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
One BIG wire goes to the starter main terminal.
One wire from the 'I' terminal on the starter solenoid goes to power the coil (distributor).
A fused-link wire from the junction block under the hood goes to the ignition switch.
The ignition switch and the Neutral Safety switch must be closed to send +12 to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Looks like the previous owner bypassed the neutral safety switch or the purple wire from the neutral safety switch to the starter has an open.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84