Started in on my 78'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Been a bit since I've posted any updates. It's been a slow go at it but so far I've got the floor pan treated and painted with KSB Rust Seal. Pretty impressed with it. It levels out very nice with very minimal brush strokes. Working on laying down sound deadener now and run new speaker wire to the outside cab corners. Need to order carpet but I may run it without for the time being.

I bought a header back exhaust kit but it doesn't work with my current headers...(3" collectors and I need 2.5) which are all rusty anyway so the carpet budget is getting used for new headers so I can get this thing on the road this summer. I cleaned up the doors and door panels. Using Mothers Back to Black on the old vinyl and plastic door panels. Forgot how well that stuff brings the color back into the plastic.

Anyway, crappy photos but here's some shots of the floor after the rust seal was put on.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Probably a bit late to mention it but lizard skin is an interesting sounds deadener/insulator. It sprays on like bed liner, there are two versions, one optimized for sound and the other for heat. I used both on my truck and was happy with the results. Though I haven't actually driven it yet, I didn't know where to draw the line and ran out of time so it's still in pieces. It definitely sounds quieter and duller when tapping on the panels. I quite liked the idea of adding another waterproof barrier instead of laying down something that could trap water under it.
http://m.lizardskin.com

The hood and floor look much better in person, the camera made wet spots really gleam. Also the color is much more consistent in person, especially now that it's fully dry.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Probably a bit late to mention it but lizard skin is an interesting sounds deadener/insulator. It sprays on like bed liner, there are two versions, one optimized for sound and the other for heat. I used both on my truck and was happy with the results. Though I haven't actually driven it yet, I didn't know where to draw the line and ran out of time so it's still in pieces. It definitely sounds quieter and duller when tapping on the panels. I quite liked the idea of adding another waterproof barrier instead of laying down something that could trap water under it.
http://m.lizardskin.com

The hood and floor look much better in person, the camera made wet spots really gleam. Also the color is much more consistent in person, especially now that it's fully dry.

I seriously considered lizard skin but I couldn't justify the price. At some point I'm wanting to really tear this truck down and restore it. There were parts of the floor that probably really should be repaired but my goal is to get it back on the road after letting it sit for the last 10 yrs... on a budget for now. It does sound like a great product though, especially for inside the door panels & hood. Not sure any stick on deadener would last underhood temps

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used spray adhesive and cut out bonded logic material (its made from jeans but trust me it keeps super cool and quiet). That material went all over the floor, up the firewall, and with whatever scraps I had went in the doors. Then i used reflective tape for the seams. ITS SO QUIET.

That Bonded Logic material is inexpensive, but works great for insulating the cabin from engine compartment and exhaust pipe heat. And using it on top of a sound deadener is the ultimate.

A foil-backed butyl rubber sound deadener will dampen panel vibration, but guys shouldn't believe the hype about its thermal insulation properties. Even the very expensive DynaMat Xtreme does little to insulate your shoe soles from header & exhaust pipe heat. Been there, done that! Solved the problem with the Bonded Logic material on top of the DynaMat. I used the kind with foil on one side, and that side faces the heat source

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I may look into that Bonded Logic. I'm also planning to run mass backed carpet. From my understanding that is more of a rubber/foam padding under the carpet compared to the regular jute padding. Better for sound control but does it do much for heat rejection?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looking really good. It will definitely be nice when you're done.

AP Guy

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Well life has a way of getting in the way of things but I finally got around to installing my carpet a few weeks ago. Went with ACC 808 turquoise. Original was more of a forest green but I really liked how the turquoise looked with the rest of the interior. Also have the 6x9 cab corner speaker boxes dry fitted and will get them installed after I get them painted. Still planning on a retro sound radio and clean up the dash a bit but for now I'm done.

Her are a few finished pics. Not perfect and I still need to touch things up but for right now it's going to be a driver until the winter months come up here!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Are those steel bottom door panels?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The ones I pull are cardboard backed.
I like the steel look

Joe T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Handcranks for the windows are like $12. I see one had the brushed nickle cover pop off.

AC vent kits are cheap but if you get into that you may want to do more.

Maybe dye/paint the doorpanels and dash, carefully fill any cracks in the dash before painting it as it looks to be mostly in good shape. Prep it good and use adhesive modifier. Can paint anything else faded or scratched.

If the seat isn’t completely trash I’d throw an old school seat cover on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota