Srw to drw swap info needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looking to swap out the 14 bolt semi float in my 1984 k20 for a full float dually axle. I've found one from a 1981 1 ton dually, will that fit? With what mods? New springs perch locations? Or, what dually axle would be a direct bolt in, if any?

Lots of confusing info via the search tool regarding perch widths, wsm to wsm etc.....

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
A dually axle will be from a 1 ton, shock brackets and spring perches are different on 1 tons vs 1/2 & 3/4 tons.

Is the dually axle from a square body? A pick up or a cab & chassis? A pick up axle is extra wide at 74" WMS and a cab & chassis axle has 63" (iirc) WMS whereas an SRW axle is around 67" WMS.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's out of a pick up and I was just assuming that a factory dually would be a full float. The axle has hub caps on it so I can't see the end of the hub to check semi vs full. But according to the info in this thread, it would be a semi float?

So, what's my next best choice to look for?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If it's from a square body pick up dually it will not be a 14 bolt.

I did some more research and you are correct. :) From what I just read, I didn't realize the DRW 14 bolts only came on Vans and the rest of the DRW are pretty much Dana 70's. Learn something new every day :)

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
It's out of a pick up and I was just assuming that a factory dually would be a full float. The axle has hub caps on it so I can't see the end of the hub to check semi vs full. But according to the info in this thread, it would be a semi float?

So, what's my next best choice to look for?

No semi floater daully axles from GM. An SRW full floater hub will accept a factory hub cap but a dually hub wont, it's too long.

To be clear; are you just wanting a 1 ton axle or a really wide 1 ton axle or are you converting to dual tires?

I did some more research and you are correct. :) From what I just read, I didn't realize the DRW 14 bolts only came on Vans and the rest of the DRW are pretty much Dana 70's. Learn something new every day :)

You can find DRW 14 bolts that are wide like the square body D70HD's in the GMT 400 trucks, they are 72"~74" wide like the D70HD. I'm a fan of the D70HD just because of the beefy housing and internal parts but you can't beat the 14 bolt for ease of gear set up and "dime a dozen" price.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No semi floater daully axles from GM. An SRW full floater hub will accept a factory hub cap but a dually hub wont, it's too long.

To be clear; are you just wanting a 1 ton axle or a really wide 1 ton axle or are you converting to dual tires?

I'm wanting to go with dual tires as this is on a flat bed that I routinely haul 4,000lbs+. I realize that the dually doesn't increase the load carrying by much but it does make the rig more stable.

You can find DRW 14 bolts that are wide like the square body D70HD's in the GMT 400 trucks, they are 72"~74" wide like the D70HD. I'm a fan of the D70HD just because of the beefy housing and internal parts but you can't beat the 14 bolt for ease of gear set up and "dime a dozen" price.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I gotcha. That said, I'd suggest you do some measuring before you buy, there's a significant width difference between DRW pick up and c&c axles. A pick up axle might place the outside tires beyond the side of the bed. Just saying it out loud.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got a f
I gotcha. That said, I'd suggest you do some measuring before you buy, there's a significant width difference between DRW pick up and c&c axles. A pick up axle might place the outside tires beyond the side of the bed. Just saying it out loud.

I've got a full 8' wide flat bed so I think I'll be good there. I'm wondering more about spring perch widths and the inside width between the inner tires, no chance of rubbing on the frame?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
If you get a D70HD from a square body pick up then there's no worries about it fitting under the frame etc but you will have to move the spring perches and shock brackets.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Will I need to worry about the front axle width if I go with a dually rear? When going with one of the add on dually kits with spacers, do they also widen the front axle WMS? I want to make sure I don't create additional issues when going with a dually rear (dually tires) and keeping the stock front axle.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I don’t know if anyone makes dually conversion parts for a front 10 bolt. Personally, id question if the bearings in the 10 bolt can tolerate the heavy offset of the dually wheel.

I’d suggest running a standard wheel until you can source a dually version D60.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Too bad you don't live in Illinois. There are tons of DRW Front Dana 60's for sale here for about $500. No standard Dana 60 though. I'm about to buy a couple and convert them to singles.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Too bad you don't live in Illinois. There are tons of DRW Front Dana 60's for sale here for about $500. No standard Dana 60 though. I'm about to buy a couple and convert them to singles.
Really? I gave 800 for my d60 drw and 4.56s. I thought I did ok guess I should have come south.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave