Squealing and Squeaking noise when moving forward

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brett Slattery

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got a 1984 K20 truck. I've had it for a little over a year and I just started having an issue of when I accelerate it squeaks and squeals real loud. It has the 4 speed and 208 transfer. I've replaced the rear u-joint and checked the fluids in the rear end, transfer, and transmission. I can't figure out the issue. I'm new to the site and any help would be greatly appreciated

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Brakes ? Belts ?
Just trying to get the conversation going !

Brett Slattery

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
sounds like its coming from the drive line somewhere, mainly in the rear. tried pulling the rear brake drums but the big 3/4 ton ones were seized/stuck on the hubs.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
U joints squeak when the go bad. Or sometimes like a squish noise.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Did replace ujoints on both ends of the driveshaft? If the brakes drums are stuck on the truck there's a good chance they're toast and squeaking

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My truck makes a lot of noise too. When turning in 4wd even on ice and snow, especially turning in one direction, you get a binding and occasional jerking noise. My power steering pump ran dry quite a lot before I fixed the line, causing it to be generally noisy. I also think my belts are on the way out, causing noise mostly only heard when engine is in higher revs, which is normally when Im in the cab and not listening and looking for the source. My alternator belt does not line up nicely, and the tension I believe to be low. The adjustment screw or whatever it is was missing and my gpa used a nut and bolt with some washers... Im not sure why. He had 4 engines sitting in the shed with the same bracket and adjustment nut. I will fix it eventually and then put new belts on. I was going to replace pump and alternator when its warmer just to not have to worry about them. Cheap, easy. Well, power steering hates me but thats a different discussion.

Reverse gear also makes a really loud WHINE and I mean WHINE when over 5mph, but I chock that up to drive line and brake components moving in opposite direction when they dont get used or lubed. 4 Low likes to make some noise, but I suspect thats more from internal lubrication on the transfer case and mounts. I did grease what I could and my new joints are brand new, 15 years ago. With about 8 hours driving on them, all under 10mph, usually moving snow, and rusty. Old. Same with suspension. Shocks are just rotted out, despite had been replaced. Everything else is tight and good, greased if possible. That cut down on noises. Better tires(35 year old bias ply with crap tread) helped cut noise down, too. Then lack of a floor, door seals, exhaust leaks, windows, etc all make their respective noises. I also chock noise to clearances that have developed, the lack of screws in my dash and other components in the cab, the accorns rolling around under my seat, etc to my noise. About 1000lb of extra steel is welded or bolted onto the frame of my truck, without bushings Id assume the play in bolted parts or vibrations transfered cause some as well. My gas tank is held in with half the bolts and not tightly, causing some noise im sure(working on it guys). I have a hydraulic system for my plow lift(no horizontal controls) that is pretty noisy and annoyingly leaks hydraulic fluid on my wheel well and subsequently frame, making me think power steering is leaking. My out-of-adjustment clutch pedal has a noisy travel, surely causing some noise.

My rear brakes have a leaky line and a leaking wheel cylinder, surely ones closer than the other and probably rides the drum surface causing noise. I have a broken leaf spring and a missing bottoming-out-mount that surely make noise when I smack something good.

My bed is pretty much rotted out , assuredly causing creaking and rust noise.
All body mounts and bed mounts are cracked and old rubber, noise.
My runner boards things(steps?) are held on to rusty metal that is about ready to fall off. Im sure it creaks and makes noise. All door hinges are noisy. Latches. Wiper motor sounds like a dying siren(mythological, not literal)

Hell im 21 and my bones are making noise. Send help!

Just kidding! About me that is. The truck makes plenty. And each one kinda makes me proud because I can say confidently and optimistically im going to fix it. A badge of honor to work on it, 2nd owner. 40 years. All american. Pieced together from so many trucks and cars over the years, by time im done its going to be just like the USS Constitution. Every piece replaced at least once. Yet wholly original. Although, would kill to have it not make noise.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'd pull the rear drums first.

Forum statistics

Threads