Squares and GM vans front clips - any compatability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My uncle loves vans and he has a 90 chevy 3/4 ton van with dual headlights, much like the 80s trucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

He has a 95 GMC van he newly acquired that has this going on

He is not a fan of the gmc style, he likes the 90 more. I mentioned that there is a chance that squares and gmt 400s might have similar or compatible front clips to an extent or maybe completely, and was wondering if you guys know of such things. Im not the most knowledgeable when it comes to body panels and fitments and how the vans differed from trucks.

I know lots of you guys will graft gmt 400 front clips onto squares, so maybw something similar could happen here?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Might just be a different core support. Then just grill, lights and bezels.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m not sure a square body core support bolts up to a van. The shape of the fenders and hood would make me lean towards no. I don’t know diddly about the vans, though I do like ones like the top one and older.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My uncle loves vans and he has a 90 chevy 3/4 ton van with dual headlights, much like the 80s trucks.

That grill there is the same as the '85-'88 Chevy squarebody grille, with just slightly different screw holes along the top. It's an easy interchange. The bezels, trim and core support are all specific to the van.

How about just swapping out that GMC grille with a same year Chevy grille and bezels?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Tab on top is for a van. Bottom is a truck. I think you could use the van in the truck, but not the other way around.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That grill there is the same as the '85-'88 Chevy squarebody grille, with just slightly different screw holes along the top. It's an easy interchange. The bezels, trim and core support are all specific to the van.

How about just swapping out that GMC grille with a same year Chevy grille and bezels?

Well I was more so looking to see if the headlights and such were interchange to increase the pool of donor vehicles. Not exactly a lot of vans to go around haha. So the grille is interchange it sounds, on the older, but headlights and bezels prob not so much? And it's not that it's a GMC it's he likes a high beam having a separate aim and the look. It also fits his brush guard he would like to swap over if that were the case

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I know lots of you guys will graft gmt 400 front clips onto squares, so maybw something similar could happen here?

Who is doing this?

I'm not seeing it, I have seen a Escalade front clip on a square. But those were 2 gens after square.

Maybe it is a thing, I did suffer a cranial impact yesterday. Could of knocked the visual monstrosity out of my head.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my bad, i should clarify, a lot of 88-92 with the wide front eyes, guys here do it all the time. I may have mis stated it as gmt 400

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Tab on top is for a van. Bottom is a truck. I think you could use the van in the truck, but not the other way around.

I do believe you are correct about that. I've always done van to truck because van grilles are easier to find in good shape.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I do believe you are correct about that. I've always done van to truck because van grilles are easier to find in good shape.

That's a picture of two grills I have. I needed the center trim pieces for my grill and the van grill was only $10 complete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes