Speedo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Stupid question, but I know nothing of transmissions or rear ends. Why is my speedometer off by 20+? It may actually be more. When I drive on the freeway, it's pegged out. In fact, it's pegged out driving on the country highways some times. Is it a gear ratio issue?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Cable driven or electric pulse? Not likely a gear ratio issue.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If it's cable, can't you buy different little gear things that go in the trans?

I thought I remember you being able to swap them out when you put on different size tires. I don't know tho. Maybe wrong about that.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cable driven or electric pulse? Not likely a gear ratio issue.
I’m not sure. It’s a 1984, so I would imagine it’s cable, but I don’t know for sure. I have a parts truck, so if it’s the cable, I should just be able to swap those out correct?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Yes.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
If it's cable, can't you buy different little gear things that go in the trans?

I thought I remember you being able to swap them out when you put on different size tires. I don't know tho. Maybe wrong about that.
Yes, idr what theyre called. I have one hanging around

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I thought so. Ha, I'm not crazy. Lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Its different between a 2wd and 4wd. If you have a 2wd it will be in the trans and will be a colored gear that can be swapped out. That's what the amazon link above is for. If it is a 4wd, it is a bit harder. Generally you would have an adapter gear box with the ratio needed to make it correct screwed onto the output on the T-Case, with the speedometer cable screwing into that adapter. You can change the ratio inside the T-case, but it requires matching gears being changed and it's a pain. The amount of difference you are talking about would only happen if someone had it set up for a huge tire or low rear end gear, and then swapped in small tires or a really tall rear end gear. Like dead on with 35's and then going down to 28's or going from a 3.08 to a 4.56.

Rob Goblin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Its different between a 2wd and 4wd. If you have a 2wd it will be in the trans and will be a colored gear that can be swapped out. That's what the amazon link above is for. If it is a 4wd, it is a bit harder. Generally you would have an adapter gear box with the ratio needed to make it correct screwed onto the output on the T-Case, with the speedometer cable screwing into that adapter. You can change the ratio inside the T-case, but it requires matching gears being changed and it's a pain. The amount of difference you are talking about would only happen if someone had it set up for a huge tire or low rear end gear, and then swapped in small tires or a really tall rear end gear. Like dead on with 35's and then going down to 28's or going from a 3.08 to a 4.56.

It's a 2wd. I'm not sure what was done to it before I got it, but I'm pretty sure it may have been Frankensteined (if it was before, it definitely is now). It had aftermarket 15s with low profile tires when I got it as you can see here. I've since replaced them with the stock rallys and the stock tire size, but I really can't tell any difference in the speedo. Someone had mentioned to me that it could be the gear setup; that was why I asked here. As I stated in my original post, I know very little about transmissions or rear ends. I know my grandpa was always swapping gears in his farm truck depending on what he needed it for. If he was going to be using it as a daily driver, he would run particular gears, but if it was going to be used to haul cattle and farm equipment, he'd run different gears. He was a mechanic until he started farming. Unfortunately, he did not pass along his knowledge of vehicles to me.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
sounds like either the cable or the speedo, it could be the spring that pulls the needle back has called it quits and is not holding the needle back, for it to be a gear issue it would have to be a huge change in gears to make it peg out like you describe

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
sounds like either the cable or the speedo, it could be the spring that pulls the needle back has called it quits and is not holding the needle back, for it to be a gear issue it would have to be a huge change in gears to make it peg out like you describe

Agreed. I would lean towards speedo. There is nothing that could be wrong with the cable that would make it spin 50% faster than it should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128