Speedo retainer clip for 79-83-ish Gauge and housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Greetings,

I've been reading the forums for months trying to figure out all the quirks with my '73 C10 I bought last year. My gearhead buddy had to close down his shop suddenly before we could dig into it, so absent his guidance this site has been my lifeline.

Current problem is this: My square is a '73 C10 that at some point divorced his first transmission and took up with a TH350C. Later he married the dash panel from an '81 GMC Suburban and ended up as stepdad to her brood of 79-83-era gauges. (Understanding the shotgun marraige and that I needed to look at '81 wiring diagrams not '73 would have saved much anguish and heartache.)

One thing that could work is the Speedometer. The cable was not connected, but it is connected at the transmission and fits into the back of the speedo like a warm hug. So I ordered a replacement retainer clip from LMC and though it would be a happy ending.

(My Speedometer looks like LMC Part #
36-1862 SPEEDOMETER 2ND DESIGN CHEVY GMC 79-80
)

These pictures show the problem: there is no place to attach the retainer.

You must be registered for see images attach

From the long thread on "Cluster Teardown" I noted that the OP Green79Scottsdale had a housing with a different back than mine, and little alighment studs for the retainer:

You must be registered for see images attach

One of the members in that thread, 84K20, has the same back as mine. Unfortunately Attaching the cable with that back was not discussed in the thread, and none of the manuals or parts catalogs seem to show the back of these clusters.

Clearly I have a mismatch amongst the "buffet-style" components in my dash. Maybe the cable housing just screws on to the back of the gauge? If anybody knows how this cable is meant to attach to its speedometer, that would be new info for me, and I would be very appreciative. I am considering just drilling a few extra holes in the housing, or is there a differnt clip I should have?

Last here are pictures of my housing and my cable yearning to mate with a gauge.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

BRetty

152979-31ecde11e109424e3ea7e92a59d9a431.jpg

152377-fa79a41620b4452b5ded278bb0849353.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg