Speedo gone wild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
While driving my CUCV today the speedometer started making noise and jumped up to about 100 or so (even though it's only a 85mph speedo). It kept doing this even when I was just driving a few mph. I stopped and tried to disconnect it before driving any further, but was not able to, so I was going to turn around and head home. The noise stopped but the Speedo jumped around for a while, then finally settled down. Any ideas what might have caused this? I have been thinking of swapping out the Speedo because it doesn't seem like it is accurate.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If I had to guess, the speedo cable was severely binding.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Really crappy cables that don’t spin truly will do that, too, but my money’s on the binding. I’d mix some denatured alcohol and graphite powder together, pull the cluster, hook a drill to the transmission end, and pour the solution down its gullet while spinning the drill to work it down.

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
My speedo is always jumping since the original cable went south. It ends when I go 50. I had 3 different cables (cheap, cheap, not so cheap) from 3 different companies and all of them sucked. Next time I try to get some quality cable.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Unhook the cable from the transmission. Pull the speedo head, unhook the cable. Pull the cable from its casing, spray lots brake clean inside. Blow out the crud, clean off the cable, grease it up with speedometer cable lube. Reinstall and reassemble. Hopefully that solves your issue

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
All I've ever done was like Matt69olds said, clean out the cable with brake cleaner, wipe the cable with brake cleaner, then wipe it down with powdered graphite.

They make an adapter that fastens to one end and has a Zerk fitting. You'd pump grease through the entire length of the cable and then insert the spun cable. UGH! Whatta mess!

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
While driving my CUCV today the speedometer started making noise and jumped up to about 100 or so (even though it's only a 85mph speedo). It kept doing this even when I was just driving a few mph. I stopped and tried to disconnect it before driving any further, but was not able to, so I was going to turn around and head home. The noise stopped but the Speedo jumped around for a while, then finally settled down. Any ideas what might have caused this? I have been thinking of swapping out the Speedo because it doesn't seem like it is accurate.

Mine does that too, in cold weather, it settles down once warmed up. It does jump at low speeds also since installing aftermarket cable. I just cleaned and lubed the speedo head and cable, we'll see how it works.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess I'll pull the cable out and clean and lube it, seems to be the general consensus. The truck has sat for a while and the PO said that he didn't drive it much so it probably is gummed up. I've never had a speedo do this so wasn't sure what to do.

Thanks for all of the responses.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My speedo is always jumping since the original cable went south. It ends when I go 50. I had 3 different cables (cheap, cheap, not so cheap) from 3 different companies and all of them sucked. Next time I try to get some quality cable.

If your speedo head is working properly, the AC Delco is okay. There’s a company that builds them in Denver, Speedometer Cables USA, that swore to me up and down that their design rivals the OEM from this period. It sounds like they’re based on an older design. Oh, and here’s the advice he gave for lubing our original cables. An 80” cable should run you about $57 dollars with them, give or take. If anyone wants to try them out, see their contact info below.

You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I like the "God " cleaning part!!

bullmastiff

Reaction score
First Name
DC
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine is doing the same thing but I think it is the gauge itself. I replaced the cable and worked fine, then changed the cluster and it started making sounds and jumping. Old cluster workers fine with the same cable. Sounds like little plastic gears stripping inside, but I've never opened one uonto see what's in there.

Warkmeister

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Could the same problem of a gummed up cable cause the opposite symptoms? My speedo works from 0-50mph pretty well then faster than that, it’s jumping all over from 55-85.

DGDamato

Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Mine does that too, in cold weather, it settles down once warmed up. It does jump at low speeds also since installing aftermarket cable. I just cleaned and lubed the speedo head and cable, we'll see how it works.

Same here...when it's cold out, I can count on it acting up. It sounded like an electrical short the first time I heard it - scared the "god cleaning" right outta me!

Thanks for asking @SDJunkMan - I'll have to try to get mine cleaned out now.

71RAT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Same here...when it's cold out, I can count on it acting up. It sounded like an electrical short the first time I heard it - scared the "god cleaning" right outta me!

Thanks for asking @SDJunkMan - I'll have to try to get mine cleaned out now.

I drove it Saturday morning, over night it got down to 26 or so. Seemed to work good, it did jump a few times in the driveway. I don't know that it gotten cold enough to call it fixed or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl