Spare tire: what’s a better deal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Need a spare, don’t want to spend too much money on it. I’ve found two options, which is better use of money?

brand new 285/75/16 BFG A/T for $100

Used 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ for $25

pictures attached.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Check the tires for the production date. See if there's a significant age difference.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Will you be locking the spare tire down? No reason to give some thief a nice new tire that more than likely you won't be using (you do have decent tires, right?)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Depends on if you have my luck with tires.

Mine just seem to blow up for absolutely no reason, spring a leak, get stabbed by road objects, throw off the cap.... Yep. About everything that could happen seems like it has happened... Every trip that's far away I bring 2 spares LOL.

When I got my tires, I got 5 brand new tires, but I can store the one in the back since it's a burb...

I feel like nobody would steal just 1 tire... But there is particular scum out there that might.

Might wanna just go with the older tire.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It can also be said that equipiing your truck with 5 matching tires and putting the spare in the rotation schedule, you can extend the life of ALL your tires that way and keeps them goood! Theres usually a part in the owners manual that shows you the proper rotation with and without the spare.

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check the tires for the production date. See if there's a significant age difference.
Good idea. BFG is 2017 and still haven’t heard on the other but I’m guessing significantly older. It was a spare on the seller’s truck when he bought it.

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It can also be said that equipiing your truck with 5 matching tires and putting the spare in the rotation schedule, you can extend the life of ALL your tires that way and keeps them goood! Theres usually a part in the owners manual that shows you the proper rotation with and without the spare.

Good thought. The BFG would match my other tires (which are brand new from Costco).

YeOldeTruck

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
1973/78
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Appreciate all the thoughts and the advice seems to match my thinking...somewhat mixed. I think I’ll go for the “new” BFG because I’m not as worried about the theft component (famous last words).

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl , that's a GREAT theory but it's hardly ever done
Im just saying its an ideal and good way to use a new spare. But i doubt his spare idea is the same tread depth or same kind as his other tires. I vote for the used tire especially if he bed mounts it or lays it in the bed. If its under, then it could go either way, but no sense in putting a new tire under the truck.. another good practice is to put new tires on maybe 2 wheels and use the best of your current tires for a spare. Im actually doing this with my trailer, I just replaced all 4 to match but im going to use the best tire FROM it to go on a spare wheel I found, and mount that bad boy to the trailer itself.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Appreciate all the thoughts and the advice seems to match my thinking...somewhat mixed. I think I’ll go for the “new” BFG because I’m not as worried about the theft component (famous last words).
If I were you then, put it in your rotation pattern. If its an aggressive BF like my KO2 on my truck, you are gonna feel that low tread life in the wallet and that tire is gonna give you what, another 20% tread life theoretically? If you rotate it. That way if you ever have to permanently leave it in your 4 tire, you have equal tread wear so you arent putting a lot of strain on components. (mixmatched tires can put extra wear on components, I dont think it would hurt rear as much as front)

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305

@AuroraGirl , that's a GREAT theory but it's hardly ever done
To do that 5 tire rotation properly you have to rotate on an exhausting time frame.
There are currently 37 people doing this. :eek:

When was the last time new cars were even sold with a full size spare? That is if they even have a spare.

Buy whatever is cheaper and will fit your storage space. Install and forget about until you need it and it will be there waiting for you all dryrotted and flat. Just me?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I would go with the cheapie.
But that is just me.
It is a spare and as long as it holds air and can travel at freeway speeds, we are good.

Then it gets put away until the next go around.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's a great idea to check the air pressure on the spare a few times a year, most people never check it and it's usually low by the time they need it, especially if it's mounted under the bed.
Very few people rotate the spare in either, it's a great theory but in reality, it's not very common.
I have a junker mounted in the bed, good tread but non matching brand. If I was driving it a lot, I'd have a matching tire but all mine does it drive through the desert, off road. I'm more interested in the ply rating than matching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84