Spare tire mount?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, on my 2wd 1981 Silverado longbed the factory original spare tire mount keeper thingy under the bed of course I don’t really trust it will stay put forever and maybe under high speeds. It’s never given me a problem, but is there one I can swap easily from a different model year truck new or old without hacking on my truck that will seem more secure? Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is it the glide out or the basic under bed one. There is also a bed mount

mine was made by my grandpa but the concept is the Same I think factory had them up by the driver ?

You must be registered for see images attach

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look in the LMC catalog, there are two or three different kinds. Mine was missing under the bed so I bought one that mounts in the bed. I placed it to the front on the passenger side. If you have a torch and welder, you can make your own. I personally prefer the under the bed mount, out of sight and doesn't take up space but I live in a dry climate where it's easy to get at without getting wet and muddy. I guess overall the mount in the bed is best in my opinion.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Hi, on my 2wd 1981 Silverado longbed the factory original spare tire mount keeper thingy under the bed of course I don’t really trust it will stay put forever and maybe under high speeds. It’s never given me a problem, but is there one I can swap easily from a different model year truck new or old without hacking on my truck that will seem more secure? Thanks!
I have owned my 75K20 since new and I have NEVER had a problem losing the spare out from under it. Doesn't get any play in it even when the tire goes flat!! I always check the condition of the all of the attaching parts whenever I'm under it just to make sure.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
You can always put a chain and lock on as an anti-theft device. That would also keep the tire/wheel assembly from going anywhere if the attaching hardware went South.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990