Some useful data (possibly)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
At work, we have to have our personal measuring tools calibrated (We have a lab onsite that does this for us). I went to Harbor Freight and picked up some tools for something I'm working on at home and got one of those free multimeters that they love to give out. Just for kicks, I brought it to our instrumentation lab to have it calibrated. Here's the results. (Obviously didn't pass for use at work, but should be fine for home use)
Mike

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Interesting.

What do you guys use? Field Piece, Fluke, Klein?

I have all three, but use the Field Piece the most. I have a sneaking suspicion that Klein has gone downhill—with the exception of their highest end meters.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So how does that compare to the average "good" meter? Is that a miserable fail, or a good showing?

My dad once tested one of those for accuracy and said it was really good for how cheap it was. I didn't bother asking him the results. Mostly because I didn't know what acceptable was I guess.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
To answer both questions.
1- We can use whatever brand we want as long as it passes calibration. Most of the techs use Fluke

2- It didn't do too terrible. The DC volts readings were all within 5%, which is our standard for passing. It was resistance below 200 Ohms that it failed. Other than that, it did OK. I have a Fluke that I use for work.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They are very unpredictable on resistance readings, otherwise actually decent meters. Especially for the price

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Good to know. I was working on a VATs bypass with one of those meters and it got me close, then I started just adding resistors to the bypass since it wasnt within the vehicle tolerance even though the meter had me "dialed" in". I ended up getting a Klein meter recently but still use the HF for voltage.

Thanks for sharing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not to hijack the thread but I recently discovered how wildly innacurate tire pressure guages are. I have 5 of them of different brands, makes and models. There was a 5-20# difference between every one of them. The cheapo free pencil type from the tire store was no less accurate than my $50 Ingersall Rand. Very frustrating.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
Our instrumentation lab won't calibrate tire pressure gauges for us. But they do our tape measures, calipers, torque wrenches etc. I received a 6 inch Harbor Freight digital caliper last Christmas, so I took it in to be calibrated and it passed. I haven't taken in my cheaper torque wrenches, but my Snap On torque wrench passed. I never use it tho, because the shop has 12 torque wrenches and what I measure most is around 450 ft lbs. If I bring anything else in that fails, I'll make sure to post it for info.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Not to hijack the thread but I recently discovered how wildly innacurate tire pressure guages are. I have 5 of them of different brands, makes and models. There was a 5-20# difference between every one of them. The cheapo free pencil type from the tire store was no less accurate than my $50 Ingersall Rand. Very frustrating.
Yeah and torque wrenches too....

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Kind of confirms what I've always suspected of them. Fine for casual use, not for electronics or critical applications. Considering what they cost they're pretty good. Except for the leads. Those are utter cr@p.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat