Some 700r4 questions, tv cable and shift points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Just finishing up my tbi to carb conversion in my 1988 k5.

Supposedly the trans had a rebuild about 20k ago. I have a Thunder AVS on it and bought the Edelbrock throttle arm adapter and then modded the edelbrock bracket that holds the tv and throttle cables to get the cables in decent position.

I could not get the original tbi tv cable adjusted correctly even after making multiple adjustments and test driving. Today I bought a B&M cable and got it installed. I get a real firm shift into second at 15 mph and then a "normal" shift into 3rd at 35mph. I don't know that I ever feel the 4th gear shift and I've only run it up to 55mph at about 2600 rpm before backing off. I also dont feel the down shift from 2nd to 1st when doing that test.

I'm tempted to think that I need to loosen the cable (release the adjustable end at the tear drop connector 1/8" or so) but then won't my first gear shift be at an even low ground speed?

3.73 gears and 31" tires if that matters regarding reaching 4th gear.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
With vehicle off, fully open the throttle and let it pull the tv cable. If it can reach full throttle, would leave as is. If you let off a throttle a bit at 55mph it will probably shift to 4th. Or let the cable out just a bit. Should not have any slack when at full throttle. When all set, add a crimp at the end and cut excess off

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lengthened the cable sheath 2 clicks towards the carb. Now has a "normal" shift just before I show 15mph and all the other shifts happen as they should including 4th. Hard to believe about an 1/8" adjustment would effect it that much but it sure did.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat