So...Ordered the tow mirrors and now realize...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
You must be registered for see images attach
Dangit my 84 came with the little mirrors. someone along the way installed a crappy set of aftermarket tow mirrors and removed the original. I ordered the kpro tow mirrors:rolleyes: assuming that it came with the oe tow mirrors only to realize just now that the bolt pattern matches the little mirrors. Ironically I already have a set of the little ones on my 86 and hate them.

Im going to just need to drill holes to mate the new mirrors and I understand that however I have no experience filling holes left by old hardware. there will be 7 holes after I remove the ****** hinge style mirrors if I include the original 3 that were never filled. The truck has a decent paint job and I dont want it to look like ass because I cant match paint. I am considering a plastic plug of some sorts that I can paint to match as closely as I can but I cant imagine what that may look like.

I also am expecting to see some wear and off paint or possibly surface rust under the hinges for the mirrors since they are low quality un treated steel. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
those loook like OE Ford mirrors for 80s to 96/97, most of the ford guys ditch those for OE Chevy tow mirrors of the same era.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There were several aftermarket versions of the "Ford" mirrors. Those look like one of them.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Why not paint a rivet red. Then snap them in.
I ordered some aftermarket mirrors. They didn’t work for ****. Turned out dude sent me the 67-72 mirrors. had to redrill the holes.
I plugged the “wrong”’holes with SS rivets.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
those loook like OE Ford mirrors for 80s to 96/97, most of the ford guys ditch those for OE Chevy tow mirrors of the same era.

UGh that makes it even worse. Cross branding body parts is worse than cross dressing body parts. Both are just wrong.
They look horrible and work even worse. Truly garbage set of mirrors. Is definitely a priority!!

I May just put some of those stick on fake vents over the holes and throw a big wing on the tailgate and call it a day. Maybe throw a "life is good" sticker on the bumper and go to a cars and coffee. I dunno!? Hipster ****

Why not paint a rivet red. Then snap them in.
I ordered some aftermarket mirrors. They didn’t work for ****. Turned out dude sent me the 67-72 mirrors. had to redrill the holes.
I plugged the “wrong”’holes with SS rivets.

Maybe. not a bad idea. Probably better than rubber or plastic as far as long term paint adhesion.
Depending on how it looks under the brackets is gonna hold some weight in my decision. IM gonna remove them tomorrow and see. If it cleans up around the holes well Ill probably just do something like ss rivets. If it looks too bad ill be taking it to a body shop and having the holes welded and the doors repainted. This thing is too clean to let it be ruined by something so trivial.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Course that is the best answer. I was pretty pissed when I did mine. Seeing as how I welded up some old tow mirror holes and JUST had the truck painted.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I figure its best I remove the old trim and mirrors and really get a good look at the paint underneath. I know its been painted by PO so it may just get a fresh coat or two all over and then install the new trim and mirrors.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
There were several aftermarket versions of the "Ferd" mirrors. Those look like one of them.
Brown had a mismatched pair that a lot of people said were ferd mirrors but I believe they were parts store additions. Ferd, Toyota, Jeep and a few I'm forgetting all had a version of the hinged door mirrors as well as every store that sold oil filters. They are still available new.

Going to have to pull them and see what's underneath. Depending on how they were mounted to the door you could be horrified or pleasantly surprised.

Mine appeared to have been drilled by a drunken teenager who loved wood screws for mounting metal.o_O
Maybe you'll fair better.;)

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think I'd fill the holes with button head Allen's and probably just leave them black.If you are really ambitious I suppose you could use button head Allen's then grind them thinner and flatter then paint them with an artist brush.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I think I'd fill the holes with button head Allen's and probably just leave them black.If you are really ambitious I suppose you could use button head Allen's then grind them thinner and flatter then paint them with an artist brush.

I was thinking about just using small carriage bolts. nice smooth head and I have to access the inside of the door already anyway so fastening from the back is not an issue.. Or go through my cabinet hardware and see what kind of plugs I have there.

Ill know better once I get it apart and can see what im working with.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My square has oe ford mirrors and it actually looks nice.. a small amount of custom bracketing was done and it fit well. But it's a 72 or older mirror not anything newer

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought a pair of Chev/GMC replacement mirrors for mine and have now learnt that I need a pair of the "inner support arms".

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I bought a pair of Chev/GMC replacement mirrors for mine and have now learnt that I need a pair of the "inner support arms".
Do tell. Is this something to strengthen the door skin?

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

The Z brackets on the right, apparently stop the mirrors shaking and prevents panel damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128