1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Snowfighter' dana 60 swap

Discussion in 'Differential & Driveline' started by Reaperbond, May 17, 2019 at 12:41 AM.

1. Reaperbond

Reaperbond Junior Member

First Name:
    Devin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Hello all. I'm swapping a 1978-1979 "snowfighter" f350 dana 60 into my 1983 k20. Right now i have just 2 questions refarding this swap.
    First one concerns the u-bolts: due to the way that chevy and ford mounted the axles being fundamentally different, im wondering how to mount the ubolt (using GM ubolts/mounts) on the driver side directly next to the pumpkin, seeing is there is a piece of webbing (or structure) coming off the pumpkin and terminating at the axle shaft housing, right where the u-bolt is supposed to mount. I am perfectly fine with taking a grinder to it and making a spot for the u-bolt to mount but I just want to see if this is what others have done or found an alternative method.
    Second question involves the steering components: my pickup has a 6" lift so I'm wondering if I should get an after-market Pittman arm to replace on the dana 60 or try to find a steering arm to drop the drag link down from the gearbox.
    Thanks in advance!

MrMarty51 likes this.
  2. Frankenchevy

Frankenchevy . Supporting Member

First Name:
    Jeremy
    Truck Year:
    old
    Truck Model:
    pickup
    Engine Size:
    8 cylinder
    I dunno, I just have a passenger side D60. Out of curiosity, what are you using for a transfer case and rear axle?

MrMarty51 and CSFJ like this.
  3. CSFJ

CSFJ ----------------- Supporting Member

First Name:
    -------------
    Truck Year:
    -------
    Truck Model:
    -------
    Engine Size:
    -------
    It's been a while since I was fluent in Ford axles so I may be off base, but isn't the spring spacing different between the GM and Ford also?

MrMarty51 likes this.
  4. MrMarty51

MrMarty51 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Martin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    I know not one thing about the axle swap, just saying welcome to the GMSB forum. If it is a snow fighter differential/axle, bring it over, we are suppose to be getting some snow tomorrow so You can try it out. :happy160::happy175::happy175::happy175:

5. Charlie

Charlie Full Access Member

First Name:
    Don
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Cheyenne 10 LWB
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
    :welcome:

6. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Welcome to the site. I would locate a passenger side drop dana 60. less headaches.

7. Reaperbond

Reaperbond Junior Member

First Name:
    Devin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I got a good laugh about trying it out in the snow haha!
    Concerning the axle, the 1978-1979 f350 dana 60 has the same spring spacing (within 1/2") of the chevy spring perches. It took some looking but I finally found the darned thing after looking for 2 years. Unfortunately, the transfer case I'm installing is a driver's drop so I can't use a passenger dana 60.

8. Craig 85

Craig 85 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Craig
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K30 SRW
    Engine Size:
    454/TH-400/NP205
    Are you asking about the webbing under the axle (photo 1)? GM style passenger drop D60's only have 3 U-bolts. The inner passenger side uses studs mounted in the pumpkin (photo 2, dually version axle).

With regards to the Pitman arm, I just used a Skyjacker CA50 arm, but I have a K30 and only went with a 3" lift. I had a K5 back in the early 90's with a 6" lift. I used a raised steering arm and one of those "S" type drag links (PITA). If I had to do it again, I would have used the dropped pitman arm and ORD's steering block #U9018 with a stock style drag link.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My drop arm (Skyjacker CA50)
    IMG_2305.JPG

ORD's D60 Steering arm block
    [​IMG]

9. Reaperbond

Reaperbond Junior Member

First Name:
    Devin
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Craig, thank you very much for the info. This is exactly what i was looking for. You were correct about the webbing under the axle in photo 1. Good to know about the 3 ubolts in gm dana 60's, I wasnt aware of that. I will look into the steering arm riser and the lowered pitman arm for the steering.