Snorkel Air Cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looking for a good used single Snorkel air cleaner housing. I believe it's the 4x4 or HD version. The one with the full-size (not tapered) snork that adapts to the air inlet hose.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
That is the fuel injected style ('87 & up) in case you did know. Here what my '85 has. FYI the air filter is 2" taller than the lid you pictured. The snorkel is available from LMC for small blocks. I found out the one for big blocks is still available through GM after I made this set up. GM 14024596

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Looking for a good used single Snorkel air cleaner housing. I believe it's the 4x4 or HD version. The one with the full-size (not tapered) snork that adapts to the air inlet hose.

Im pretty positive i have access to one of these

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is the fuel injected style ('87 & up) in case you did know. Here what my '85 has. FYI the air filter is 2" taller than the lid you pictured. The snorkel is available from LMC for small blocks. I found out the one for big blocks is still available through GM after I made this set up. GM 14024596

So on the lid/housing assembly, what makes it taller, being a big block? I see LMC has the hose/duct pieces.

I guess I need to source a housing first and then worry about the correct duct. I assumed if the lid had one center hole it was a carb application? Just an assumption. Lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Found this setup on the web. Looks like it uses the same short 90 degree snorkel I posted. It's sitting on a small block (86 newer) so probably a TBI?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The picture in post #5 is for an '87 & up TBI, SBC and BBC. The snorkel opening has a wider mouth than previous years, is parallel to the passenger fender and used the shorter lid. The heat stove has its own thermal sensor to open the flapper in the snorkel.

The taller lid was used on trucks from 81-86. The heat stove opens by vacuum. I've seen them on small and big blocks. The LMC snorkel looks like the one in my photo (post #2). The accordion section buts right up against the air filter housing and is for a small block. Unfortunately, it is the wrong angle for a stock BBC set up. That's why I had to add the silicone tube at the core support.

Below is the correct BBC snorkel through 1986. It has a smooth area before the air cleaner.

HOTFOOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc k3500 srw
Engine Size

Dam you couldn’t be any further away from me, hate to think how many we throw away back in the day!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Consider this post dead. I scored a air cleaner off an 85 cucv diesel today for zero! Tall 4 inch filter. I can make this work. Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell