Sniper EFI on 292

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
Looking at converting my 292 one barrel to a sniper EFI. Has anyone had any experience with the Holley sniper? Truck came with a over seas carburetor that is more than frustrating. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe @DoubleDingo is the resident theorist expert on this subject. Iirc, there are more than a couple ways to skin that cat.

As far as the Sniper system itself, @bluex @Frankenchevy @SquareRoot and @Vbb199 should have input, both good and bad.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, I don't think I've ever tagged that many people in one post, lol.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'll be first to say it, if you read the instructions, and set it up like it says,
you won't have issues. I recommend the master install that comes with the fuel line, fuel pump and all to save yourself some headache.

My biggest enemy during my installation was myself. If I would've just read, I would've had so fewer stupid simple issues with the install.
There's 100s of pages of support for every and any question you have on the holley forums, and if that isn't enough, we have a holley level 2 tech here on the forum who can help (like he helped me with simple things I took for granted)

I like the throttle Response, as it sits atop my 502 ci in My c10. That's a hellacious, snappy big block that's downright scary, no lag between gas pedal to RPMS.

Now on another suggestion, there is the eldebrock pro Flo, which several members here have also and have sang some good praises about.

It features the tbi, intake, injectors, etc.

Definitely a little better featured than a sniper. The sniper is sprayed into the intake and the fuel is suspended in the air.

The pro flo is much like direct injection.

The more pricey models like the holley terminator feature direct injection, spark coil control, a trans control, and blows the eldebrock out the water in engine management in n/a and induction type motors

I just got the holley as my personal preference, and like it. I've had no issues with it, everything that has happened was my own fault.

But then again, I'm the controversial guy on this forum that does stuff people say you can't do or can't succeed with. LOL

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Therapy helped me thru my Sniper experience. I'm living in Pro-flo utopia these days. @vbb, for the record, pf-4 is not TBI, although it does use a throttle body. And it's not "like" direct injection, it "is" direct injection. If you think your 502 is snappy with that wet manifold used with the Sniper, you'd be amazed what the dry manifold feels like.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Therapy helped me thru my Sniper experience. I'm living in Pro-flo utopia these days. @vbb, for the record, pf-4 is not TBI, although it does use a throttle body. And it's not "like" direct injection, it "is" direct injection. If you think your 502 is snappy with that wet manifold used with the Sniper, you'd be amazed what the dry manifold feels like.

We are on a slippery slope with this terminology here. I think "port injection" is the correct name. Direct injection puts the injector tip right into the combustion chamber.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yep, PFI on the pf4. The sniper wasn’t terrible for me. I’m not sure that there is a pf4 for the 292.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I'd fairly say in terms of install time, your holley sniper 292 can be running in a couple afternoons of beer with the guys as it's all retrofit for a carb motor , PF4 might be a little more work.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We are on a slippery slope with this terminology here. I think "port injection" is the correct name. Direct injection puts the injector tip right into the combustion chamber.
Directly into the port. Lol.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I agree with VBB, installation is pretty crucial. It’s important on the pf4 as well, but the sniper does not like EMI. Read the Holley forum, many folks have hatred similar to SquareRoot. My main issue was with fuel falling out of suspension in cold temps, but vortec heads have no heat crossover in the intake.

There’ll be a some tuning on the sniper, but the software is decent. That being said I do like the PFI on the pro flo.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm by no means implying that the rest of the Holley systems aren't good. I can only speak from my experience with the Sniper. I will add the customer service was night and day between the companies. That makes a big difference when the product doesn't work as expected. I'm still waiting for Holley to help pay for my therapy.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
On a square don't buy the master kit. Spend that money on an 87 tank and sending unit an put a 96 model pump on it. In tank is way better for reliability, I like my sniper, I recommend them but I'm about to stop working on them for other people/offering advice if I don't install it. They don't listen, an most won't even read the instructions or take 5 mins to watch a video on a procedure. I had a guy stop by the other day that his main complaint was high idle. He says "I've changed it multiple times in the handheld an it didn't do anything" I asked if he set the iac at operating temp after the initial startup. "Idk what your talking about it self learns an does everything on its own" he says. Idle/IAC setup is throughly explained in the startup guide. I'm amazed some of these people can get them installed.

As far as fitech I'd stay far away, I've had no luck with those at all. Messed with one edelbrock pro-flo an I wasn't to impressed with it but it had that sump system which I think was the biggest issue as the fuel pressure was very inconsistent due to an issue with the supply to it. Another one I recommend an in tank setup for that fell on deaf ears....

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I wasn't gonna dive in that deep ^

But I am running a intake pump myself, with a 87 sending unit and 87 tank,

Much better than the inline setup.

But that also requires more work, more money, etc

dbush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
Thanks for all the great input. Couple of questions. With having dual tanks do you have a pump in each tank? Is it possible to use the tanks I have now and add sending unit with pumps? Have been looking at the Holley forum and watching all the videos the have, also printed of the installation guide and the quick start guide for the sniper (112 pages total) I’m guilty of just jumping in without reading the info so this time hopefully I will study first. What is the drawback to using an inline pump vs in tank? Going to also do some research on the PF4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406