snap ring bead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Randomly have come to possession to three wheels equipped with a snap ring style bead retainer. 8 lug
Does anybody still wants these style wheels for period correctness or any other reason? Or just scrap them?
You must be registered for see images attach

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Better off scraping them. Those old split rims are killers, literally!

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They are at least with snap ring type of retainer, so not the true killer split rim design. But was planning on just scrapping them anyway.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is a very big difference between "split rim" and "locking ring". The rims in question are not split rim and are not dangerous. Please don't scrap them, they are very useful for period correct restorations.

And as far as the dangerous split rims, there's only one design that was failure prone. This discussion came up several years ago, I'll see if I can dig up the info again.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is what I was referring to in that they are not the true split rim design. I will hang on to them for a bit then and see if someone will want them. One of them was rusted pretty bad so that one might go to scrap.
There is a very big difference between "split rim" and "locking ring". The rims in question are not split rim and are not dangerous. Please don't scrap them, they are very useful for period correct restorations.

And as far as the dangerous split rims, there's only one design that was failure prone. This discussion came up several years ago, I'll see if I can dig up the info again.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
After taking closer look, I think they are destined for scrap. A lot of corrosion. Even the valve stem holes are more square than round on two of them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii