Smog removal and valve cover replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
My alternator went bad on my never-ending newly bought 79 C10 project. When I removed it and took into auto store for testing, the guy asked "when was the last time I changed the oil in my alternator?".... point well taken.

With that said, I realized how bad my oil leak is and that it's coming from front of valve cover. While looking to replace valve cover, and because of all the smog pipes and hoses going everywhere (see pic below), I want to replace it with the basic valve cover.

Looking for help: I want to replace the valve cover and remove smog pipes and put plug bolts in the exhaust manifold. My problem is that I have an integrated cylinder head. Does anyone know where to get a 'non smog' valve cover? What i'm finding with searches are for non integrated only.

Also:
What should be kept? PCV, EGR, etc. (I've already taken out the charcoal canister and the many hoses that go with it)
Will I need to do anything with the carburetor? I have a Rochester Varijet II 2BBL.

And any other advice?

Thanks for your help.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Holy California Batman!

Keep the PCV, charcoal canister is nice to keep also to reduce fuel smell, not really emissions related. Carb will need to be plugged whevever something was removed. If you get a non commie valve cover you will need to pipe plug the other end of those pipes going in to the valve cover.

Not much more info I can give besides that general info above. I'm sure someone will step in with some details.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
everything but the PCV and Charcoal canister can go. After removing all of the other stuff check the timing and maybe give it a degree or two more of initial timing.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
That pic is makin the rounds over here, it's really somethin!

I sure would be xxxtra backwards about disturbing all that ****. You're a brave man, good luck Wiseguy!

That tube has got to be worth a ton of money to the right guy...we'd really love to see other pix pliz, we're learning here.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
serious HERO status @Crispy for the incredibly unneccessary yet thoroughly entertaining note from your local Auto Zone.

Obviously OP's photo leaves a lot to the imagination but i'll .be. danged!

I wouldn't touch that with your....wrench. Not for a hunnert dollars would I upset that apple cart, nosireedybob..

Will I need to do anything with the carburetor? I have a Rochester Varijet II 2BBL.

keep it forever.

And any other advice?

Yeah - don't do it.

wait for me cuz I wanna help! 91% nervous we're gonna muck it up and itll never run right again.
does it run?

Damnit Jim, we've got.to.have some moar pix.
mean mother f..
we only wanna helppp..
wtf do u know about a Varijet?
No seriously..does it run?
Look man, you could be sitting on a goldmine..i'm just saying....
my advice is take great care and dont tear it up, sell it or run it.

Last edited:

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
Yes, this is a California type mess. It was also in the middle of Jimmy Carter years. I already removed the pipes, etc. I was made aware of some plugs for the holes in the two top 'meatloaf' cans. See link. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mmp-sm66/overview/make/chevrolet

Since I can't find a integrated head valve cover, I'm going to try it with the plugs, and remove/blockoff EGR. I also pulled the carb and will rebuild it. So I'll adjust carb and timing and hope that it all works out.

Here's a pic after the rat's nest removal.

I'm still looking for a normal valve cover for an integrated head if anyone knows of one.

Thanks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
ahh pix!

dude is lookin for a valve cover and im tellin him dont do it! but junior is ready to block EGR and take his Varijet apart..

prolly never run again, I tried to help but it was too late...there's a pix atrocity goin on for proof just like that kid with the yellow trim..:bawl:

i won't watch.Youre on your own kid.
why not just butch an LM7 in it to qualify cool?
godspeed
unfollowed

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
My alternator went bad on my never-ending newly bought 79 C10 project. When I removed it and took into auto store for testing, the guy asked "when was the last time I changed the oil in my alternator?".... point well taken.

With that said, I realized how bad my oil leak is and that it's coming from front of valve cover. While looking to replace valve cover, and because of all the smog pipes and hoses going everywhere (see pic below), I want to replace it with the basic valve cover.

Looking for help: I want to replace the valve cover and remove smog pipes and put plug bolts in the exhaust manifold. My problem is that I have an integrated cylinder head. Does anyone know where to get a 'non smog' valve cover? What i'm finding with searches are for non integrated only.

Also:
What should be kept? PCV, EGR, etc. (I've already taken out the charcoal canister and the many hoses that go with it)

And any other advice?

Thanks for your help.

Some engineer must have been pissed when they had to add the Cali emissions to the standard one.
I sure he said, I'm going to make this the biggest erector set possible with as many tubes as I can find.
I have never seen anything that elaborate on a square.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Some engineer must have been pissed when they had to add the Cali emissions to the standard one.
I sure he said, I'm going to make this the biggest erector set possible with as many tubes as I can find.
I have never seen anything that elaborate on a square.

No air pump required - it uses the exhaust pulses to do it's thang. My '94 land Cruiser had one, too, but it did not have the hosing set up like that.

How does the integrated head work, BTW ?

Just one giant casting, block and all ?

91 Jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You can find the plugs for those tubes at 12bolt.com here: https://www.12bolt.com/store/p174/250_292_EGR_Plugs_Head.html

I have a GM 250 straight six in my homemade skidder with the integrated head. I already pulled a bunch of that crap off of my engine already and it runs great. I'm not sure why anyone is afraid to remove smog equipment unless they live in CA. Did you end up making an erg block plate or did you find one? Also, I can't find a "plain" valve cover either yet. Please share if you do!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii