Smog Pump and Egr valve delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Hi guys i took the old engine out of my truck im putting in a 350 crate in its built more aint stock i got from west coast engines i wanna get rid of smog pump was wondering how can i with out engine running bad i wanna keep the tbi system i know there is air injection valve plugs in if it would make computer or make engine run funny or not good. Would it be worth deleteing egr valve if i delete smog im really just want my new engine run good i hate having emissions crap cause i dont need it no more.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The smog pump can go, along with the lines to it.

I personally don't care for egr valves, but if it's working on an existing engine, I'll leave it. If it fails, I'll delete it. If I'm putting a motor together, I won't bother with installing one.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I ditched my air pump and all of the emission crap long ago. No issues since.

K5Blazerboy87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Silverado
Engine Size
Like egr valve too

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't have anything from Catalytic converter to the smog pump, no get either, I have A 74 intake though, it doesn't have the spot for it, it runs real nice, it's just that if your into quadrants, they are very much a PITA to get just right, I mean literally, It took me a couple years to get it right, they are usually designed for factory setup and vacuum response, mine idles at about 955 RPMs but good enough, it has a mild cam, and I still have the evaporator can, and quite a few other components that are slightly needed, but it should be fine other than with TBI (which is one of my favorites) you may need to put a resistor inline with where solenoid once was, about 75-100 ohm, or it will probably go into limp mode without vacuum solenoid, and of coarse the pump can just be deleted, it can effect the fuel output a bit, but not much, it's because the Module is waiting to see more oxygen from exhaust due to air input through manifolds from smog pump

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I removed the cats too...and went with long tube headers and dual flowmasters. The catalytic converters were partially clogged and pieces were rattling inside. In the trash they went.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
egr should be tuned out, ecm tests it's operation and relies on actual exhaust gas to be recirculated when it chooses fuel and spark tables. It would likely to throw a check engine light

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I removed the cats too...and went with long tube headers and dual flowmasters. The catalytic converters were partially clogged and pieces were rattling inside. In the trash they went.
Out here we usually have a guy that comes around wanting to buy our old catalytics that we remove!!

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
Yeah you'll need to turn the egr valve off. The ecm throws extra timing in when the valve is open to compensate for the loss of vacuum. For what it is worth you won't gain anything by tossing that stuff. The EGR doesn't operate under WOT and the air pump is harmless.....

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Out here we usually have a guy that comes around wanting to buy our old catalytics that we remove!!

Out here we have people take the time to sneek around at night and cut them off from under the car

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah you'll need to turn the egr valve off. The ecm throws extra timing in when the valve is open to compensate for the loss of vacuum. For what it is worth you won't gain anything by tossing that stuff. The EGR doesn't operate under WOT and the air pump is harmless.....

But the EGR valve does recycle junk into the intake. Other than that, yeah, it doesn't hurt performance at all.

436'd skylark

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500HD
Engine Size
Durajunk
It's closed under WOT and you would never know it's open when you're headed to the nail salon for your pedicure.

Trust me i know what it does and how it works. Lots of misinformation out there.

84 k10

Reaction score
First Name
monty
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 silverado
Engine Size
Ok so take the belt off smog pump, cap egr or relace with block off plate and see how it runs. If you get good results start pulling vacuum , diverter valves, hoses, and plug or cap what you have too. The so called emissions BS does nothing in my opinion except cause carbon build up, and poor gas mileage. Pull the intake manifold you may be surprised how much build up has occurred where the egr valve port is.
Hi guys i took the old engine out of my truck im putting in a 350 crate in its built more aint stock i got from west coast engines i wanna get rid of smog pump was wondering how can i with out engine running bad i wanna keep the tbi system i know there is air injection valve plugs in if it would make computer or make engine run funny or not good. Would it be worth deleteing egr valve if i delete smog im really just want my new engine run good i hate having emissions crap cause i dont need it no more.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

hayden

Reaction score
First Name
Hayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
If I remove the air pump and EGR, will the engine run like it should or will it mess with the computer on the TBI system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno