Smallest tire to fit on an OE 16" steelie?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sounds crazy, but.....my garage door is about 3-4" too low to get my truck in and out with the cab on. It used to just barely fit until I put new springs on. Not a lift kit but raised the truck about 2-1/2" inches.

I have a shot at picking up a set of 8 lug OE steelies for $100. Thinking of having a smaller tire mounted so I could wheel my truck in and out. Going to need a tire about 24-26" tall. Any ideas?

Thx.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
205/55 used to be an extremely common size, should be able to find some cheap used ones rather easily. They were about the shortest of the 16's that were common.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Sounds crazy, but.....my garage door is about 3-4" too low to get my truck in and out with the cab on. It used to just barely fit until I put new springs on. Not a lift kit but raised the truck about 2-1/2" inches.

I have a shot at picking up a set of 8 lug OE steelies for $100. Thinking of having a smaller tire mounted so I could wheel my truck in and out. Going to need a tire about 24-26" tall. Any ideas?

Thx.
I like the way @CalSgt thinks. That's what I was thinking. If it's just to work on it in the garage until its done, good idea. Can't realt hurt a steelie just rolling it back and forth like that. I've done it to move my 78 around the yard once when I had no tires.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Wheel dollies from HF? Like @CalSgt said just use the bare wheels.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wheel dollies from HF? Like @CalSgt said just use the bare wheels.
I had thought about getting the steelies and having them tack welded to the dollies - to keep them from coming off every time I hit a crack in the concrete.

I found a set of 205/55's for $20 - I prefer rubber on the cement.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did some better measuring.....truck (with cab) is about 1.5" too high to fit in the garage. Picked up 4 steelies and bug bombed them with some cheap paint to keep them from rotting. Some used 205/55's and wallah - a wheel that is 8+ inches lower, so I pick up about 4" in overall height. Diffs are still 6-7" off the ground as well. Yay me.

I'm putting in the FI and accessories this weekend.....so will need to play with the headers some and I like the extra height underneath for that. But now when I'm ready to mount the cab, should be no problem getting it in the garage for assembly and wiring. Added (8) 4ft LEDs in the garage as well.....its fun flipping a switch and feeling like you're on the 50yd line on a Friday night game. :hat:

You must be registered for see images attach

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I to love the crazy light the LED fixtures put out.
I have been buying the single bulb units from Harbor Freight when they are on sale.
Those are replacing the fluorescent tubes from yesteryear.
Way brighter now that I have 6 of them up in the garage.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Did some better measuring.....truck (with cab) is about 1.5" too high to fit in the garage. Picked up 4 steelies and bug bombed them with some cheap paint to keep them from rotting. Some used 205/55's and wallah - a wheel that is 8+ inches lower, so I pick up about 4" in overall height. Diffs are still 6-7" off the ground as well. Yay me.

I'm putting in the FI and accessories this weekend.....so will need to play with the headers some and I like the extra height underneath for that. But now when I'm ready to mount the cab, should be no problem getting it in the garage for assembly and wiring. Added (8) 4ft LEDs in the garage as well.....its fun flipping a switch and feeling like you're on the 50yd line on a Friday night game. :hat:

What did you end up doing for a thermostat housing

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What did you end up doing for a thermostat housing
Nothing yet. Getting accessory brackets that look like they will fit was the first miracle. More than likely will be the flat angled one from a mid 60's Vette. IIRC, thats whats commonly used.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I to love the crazy light the LED fixtures put out.
I have been buying the single bulb units from Harbor Freight when they are on sale.
Those are replacing the fluorescent tubes from yesteryear.
Way brighter now that I have 6 of them up in the garage.
I got these online (sale) from Lowe's.....$22 ea and 5000 lumens. One was defective but the rest are great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84