Small block 350 lifter tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78k10bro

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k10
Engine Size
I just put together a small block 350, bought the block bored .60 over it has flattop pistons, stock crank. I got a cam i think it’s a 283 out of a different 350 and same with the lifters, they have about 1000 miles on them, also running aluminum darts heads. I started it up with a gear drive but changed to a timing chain because the gear drive was too loud for me. Once I started it up with the timing chain I heard a small ticking noise and it seems to be a lifter tick, what would be the cause of it and how would I fix it? Thanks

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Didja check the earl?
Maybe you don't got none and fixing it is easy - add more earl.
Or thicker earl. Top er off with 80-90, that'll shut it up for schure.
;)

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Have seen lifters take quite a while to stop making noise with new parts. Used parts who knows. Said the parts weren't very old. Used lifters sometimes don't like a change in adjustment they get in a happy place.

Let it run for 1/2 hour, sometimes it takes RPM's above idle for an extended time, such as short drive.

Are you sure it isn't an exhaust tick or fuel pump noise?

If still there check valve adjustment and or try different oil.

There are some very low-quality lifters out there. Could be a bad set. Vendors like Crane [for instance] use quality parts. Might have to replace them.

Last edited:

Newcman1

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
I rebuilt my Camaro 350 about forty years ago and within days I noticed a ticking while idling. Ticking stopped with higher rpm. I just knew it was a lifter. It was my daily driver and needed for work and it was snowing so I threw a tarp over the raised hood and ran a drop light to it. Pulled the manifold and put in new lifters. The ticking remained. Pulled the motor again the next weekend and while it was hanging from the lift I just happened to notice a hairline crack in the flex plate. New flex plate fixed it.

78k10bro

Reaction score
First Name
james
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevy k10
Engine Size
I got it fixed today 2 of the valves needed to be adjusted about a 3/4 turn and that quieted them down

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128