Sliding Rear Window Restoration/Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Hello All,
Big time CK/RV fan here, with a question on factory sliding rear windows on 81-87 Pickups. The slider on my '82 C20 is toast. Does anyone know of an outfit that restores these windows or a source for replacement parts? ALl I have seen is aftermarket replacements which arn't the same.
Thanks!
DAP

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You might be able to source the parts, but I last I looked I couldn't find any kits or companies that refurbished them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Just curious, what's wrong with yours? My '84 has seen it's fair share of use and the factory slider is still in good shape besides the latch. It still seals well and it doesn't rattle, but there's really not much to go wrong is there?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Mine's in good shape except for the latch. Bought a new one in the "Help" section of the auto parts store. I've heard some negative reviews on this latch but right now mine has a plastic zip tie as a latch so for less than $10 it is worth a try to see if it lasts.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
I am having the same issue. The one that I have needs new felt seals and rubber seals I suppose. But it is very hard to find the specific ones for this sliding window. I am probably going to have to figure out who sells generic strips of felt liner to install in this thing. Does anyone on here know who sells generic ones that can be installed?

Last edited:

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Well here it is 2 1/2 yrs later....sorry.
The problem is that on the bottom of the sliding panes, there are some plastic sliders which are completely deteriorated, so the sliding window panes rattle around like crazy like an inch of play in them.
Right now I have a bunch of popsicle sticks wedged in there to make up the space and keep them from rattling but of course the windows won't slide open now

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Mine has a strip of wood on one side, maybe you can get a couple pieces ripped to size?

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
It is strange to me that everyone keeps talking about the new reproduction sliding glass windows that are made today. It seems that these new reproduction ones would also require the exact same type of seals and parts to keep them operational. If I had known this sliding glass window was going to be such a difficult undertaking I never would have bought it. I would like to try and figure out a way to rebuild the plastic sliders felt linings and anything else that needs to be replaced.

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Yes, that's a good idea thanks. I was also thinking about some industrial plastic and have that cut to size.
I was really hoping to find a place that specializes in restoring these sliding windows but it doesn't look like that's available

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've asked at a local glass company and they told me itd be easier to just buy a new window. I picked up an almost perfect used slider fro a friend, plan in getting it put in soon if I don't sell my truck tomorrow. Have a guy coming to look at it.

HappyBuilder78

Reaction score
First Name
clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I am restoring my original slider wndow right now....i have it all torn apart with all the rubber seals removed and all the glass removed.....but i cant seem to find new rubber seals anywhere......if anyone figured this out, let me know. Thanks!

ajordan282

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
bumping this...anyone?? i want to run an original sliding glass in my truck but the one i picked up needs new felts.....

alternatively - anyone know where I can get a sliding back glass that is NOT tinted? seems that the only thing sold now is the CR lawrence which only comes tinted......

mrdap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C/K_Lover
Truck Year
81-91
Truck Model
C20/K30/V15/V2500
Engine Size
350/454
Hi,
I'm glad to see people are still interested in this topic.
I don't have anything new to report. r haven't been able to find any replacement parts. but I did find the factory parts illustration which shows all the little pieces.
Sorry I don't have any knowledge of a non-tinted replacement slider either.
Thanks
David

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
alternatively - anyone know where I can get a sliding back glass that is NOT tinted? seems that the only thing sold now is the CR Lawrence which only comes tinted......

I installed a CR Lawrence "tinted" window on my last truck. As you can see, it's not much darker than the factory shaded side windows. In different lighting (picture #2) it looks clear. The windows don't seal that great either. If you wash your truck, you're going to get some water inside through the vertical felts.

You must be registered for see images attach

ajordan282

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I installed a CR Lawrence "tinted" window on my last truck. As you can see, it's not much darker than the factory shaded side windows. In different lighting (picture #2) it looks clear. The windows don't seal that great either. If you wash your truck, you're going to get some water inside through the vertical felts.

thanks for the valuable info about the water! and the pictures are great too!

call me OCD...but my current plan is to get the CR lawrence and have my buddy who does windshield work cut replacement pieces that match the stock glass in terms of tint (i think its called blu-ray or something like that) and swap them in. seems like overkill. maybe once its in-hand and I find out the frame is all riveted together ill say fuhgettaboutit and just install it as is haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54