Single-Din Head Unit Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAM3OVR

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I saw a few folks that were asking the best way to install a single-din head unit without it being a complete hack job. I installed my head unit tonight and took pictures throughout the process with the intention of doing a write-up. I know some will not condone this, I will say that I thought on this for several days before I decided to go this route. Having clean and clear sound and the option of connecting my phone means more to me than the original Delco AM/FM deck. In all honesty if I or someone else ever decides to return this truck to original condition, welding some sheet metal back into the dash will not be much of a hurdle. Patching up the C-Notch in the frame or reversing an engine swap will be a lot more labor intensive, and no one seems to gripe about that as much as the radio.

I went with a Pioneer DEH-X6500BT, I had it from another vehicle I sold and it is last years model. I chose this unit because I like and am familiar with Pioneer's user interface and because if it's compatibility with iPhones and Bluetooth media streaming.

You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't start taking pics until I had the dash bezel off, that should be easy if your contemplating this install. This is a pic of the original Delco head unit with the knobs removed of course. Also, remember to disconnect your negative battery cable.

Next you will need to remove the two 5/8" nuts behind the original knobs. Also this screw (10 mm) on the bottom of the dash needs to be removed. It attached to a support bracket mounted to the head unit.

After that to reach the head unit from under the dash I had to remove a piece of the ducting for the dash vents. This was held in with one Phillips screw at the bottom of the dash. I had to carefully wrestle it for it to drop out.

Next you need to follow that bracket to where it attaches to the head unit and remove the nut. It is on the stud shown here. The support bracket will then drop out.

With the ducting and bracket out of the way, the head unit will slide backward. I then turned it side ways so I could remove the wiring harness and antenna.

The head unit will then drop out under the dash. I went with a dash installation panel from Crutchfield. This is a nice piece it is metal and offers good support and serves as a template for the necessary cuts. It also comes with a new support bracket that will attach to a stud on most aftermarket head units. My head unit does not have that stud. The new head unit feels secure without a bracket, if I begin to notice vibration I will modify this bracket to work with my head unit.

I positioned this piece on my bezel and traced the hole to cut. I used a pneumatic body saw then cleaned up the edges with a Dremel. I also marked the metal panel for the original screw holes in the bezel. I then reinstalled the bezel and new panel to mark the metal part of the dash.

I traced the hole with a marker, kinda sloppy tracing job but it worked. Take note that I drilled holes in two corners to have a place to start the vertical cuts with the saw.

Here is the hole after the cut, I cut the hole a little small and massaged the edges a little with my Dremel to ensure a tight fit. Also, I attached a pic of the amount of material removed.

Next, I began the wiring. I used a adapter harness also from Crutchfield. Makes the wiring process very easy, just match the colors up to the wires on your new head unit's harness.

My truck was not equipped with a 12v constant in the original harness so I spliced into the cig lighter wire where it comes out of the fuse box. I made the splice here because I intend to redo this step using a connector that will plug into an empty hole in the fuse box, but a quick splice like I used would suffice.

With everything hooked back up, bezel with new plate installed, and head unit cage mounted I plugged in the harness and slid the head unit into place. I put the negative cable back on and hit the key. I then went ahead and sync'd up my phone with the Bluetooth and listened to some tunes.

That's it guys. If you have any questions or feel that I missed something post up here or send me a PM and I will help all that I can. If anyone is interested I can PM the links for the dash plate and wiring harness.

30backs

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
thanks you did a great job looks really good

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nice to finally see another write up in here. Thanks very much for taking the time do do this.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the write up. That's one thing I never got into with cars... sound systems. I can replace a speaker, but doing a head installation and amps and woofers and tweeters.... way above my head.

GAM3OVR

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Your welcome guys. Later on I will be building the rest of the sound system using Q Forms kick panels, Kicker components, Kicker replacement speaker for the dash and behind seat, and a shallow mount Kicker sub. I am going to try to retain the ability for the seat to go all the way back. I will also be installing sound deadening and new carpet. I will document the full build on that also.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
If you want to get rid of that factory unit PM me a price and we will go from there.

snowpro90

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban R20
Engine Size
Thanks Dustin! I performed surgery today after debating if I should cut the dash or not. I figured it's nobody else's truck but mine so it's done and came out great. I installed the same radio as yours I believe and sounds pretty good with the factory speakers. I also hooked up the Bluetooth mic and tucked all the wires away nice and neat. Boy, I really can't wait for spring now!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nicely done :)

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I have the same radio and mine looks like crap.
How did you get your radio bezel to snap on?

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks Dustin! I performed surgery today after debating if I should cut the dash or not. I figured it's nobody else's truck but mine so it's done and came out great. I installed the same radio as yours I believe and sounds pretty good with the factory speakers. I also hooked up the Bluetooth mic and tucked all the wires away nice and neat. Boy, I really can't wait for spring now!

I like how your dash panel goes all the way to the column as one piece. Where did you get yours? Or am I looking at it wrong?

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
me and you have the same radio and mine looks like ****. But then again I made my own bracket....

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Real clean looking install bud. rep points on order...

Dannyb10987

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
v8 5.7
Thank YOU!!!

I looked all over the place and this was exactly what i was looking for. I had trouble finding a 12v+ constant but this showed it perfectly. Thank you so much for the post really helped me out a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84