Side post?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, I have a 1981 Silverado and it’s a side post battery type vehicle. Can anyone point out all the cons of a side post battery? I know it’s a novice question but I haven’t ran my truck since 2003 at 20y years of age I was and can’t remember the cons. Also is there a internet link to property modify my truck for a top post battery I’m having trouble finding one. Thanks!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The only downside of side post terminals (in my opinion) is difficultly hooking up jumper cables.

It seems that top post terminals suffer from corrosion more often. And I cringe anytime I see someone set a wrench or rachet on the battery. I’m always expecting a fireworks display.

The most reliable way to use a top post battery in a side post equipped truck is to replace the cables with the right length to fit the top post battery. Assuming the original cables will reach, you could cut the side post clamps off and install top post clamps.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
to change to top post, you'll need to change the positive/negative cables. Most any auto parts store will have them. Measure yours to get the correct lengths.

I was told by a battery place here in town that there is a big shorting strap that goes from one positive to the other positive when you have a battery that is both top and side.

I have a top/side battery on mine because of the LS swap I did. The original truck runs on the top posts, the LS swap power comes from the side posts.

Hope this helps in your search for info.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The only downside of side post terminals (in my opinion) is difficultly hooking up jumper cables.

It seems that top post terminals suffer from corrosion more often.

Very good point and agree, started to mention the corrosion bit, but until this truck I've mainly dealt with top post.....on an older vehicle.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
My square has a top post but my s10 i put a huge cca top post in place of a side post and used the lead top post adapters that the side terminals screw into. Ive only had 1 issue where the side post ground came loose, otherwise no prob!

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Never mind I just checked the battery tray sits up so high a top post battery the hood wouldn’t close on and I’m not drilling in holes in it to lower the tray. I know for a fact it originally came with a side post battery because the sticker on the inner fender is still intact and shows so to.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I just bought a new battery a couple weeks back. Purposely bought a dual post so if I have to swap it around I have options.

Brown is setup for top post though. Original cables with post adapters. No fitment issues.

It seems that top post terminals suffer from corrosion more often.
I actually find the opposite. The side post connections I've had have corroded way more than any top post battery connection. Seems like any corrosion stores in the plastic, eye hole, bolt, connector sandwich and just keeps spreading. At least for me.:33:

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Make your own cables out of welding cable.I got heavy duty connections from advanced auto.I added red shrink wrap for positive side.They make red cable as well,but 6’ of black cable was cheap.

You must be registered for see images attach

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Dual Post, only using top posts in brown. The side posts are towards the fender. No fitment issues.
Positive towards the rear usually keeps any errant wrenches from contacting the rad support and making the light show @Matt69olds loves so much. ;)

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Dual Post, only using top posts in brown. The side posts are towards the fender. No fitment issues.
Positive towards the rear usually keeps any errant wrenches from contacting the rad support and making the light show @Matt69olds loves so much. ;)

Posts like that should come with a cheap set of channel locks with them for the constant tightening they need, lol.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Curt,

What's with the two batteries? I know people use two batteries for all the accessories they have on board, and with a 150 amp alt. . No offense, but you rig doesn't look like the newest, latest truck on the road. I like those batteries, their name slips my mind right now. I don't have the power needs whatsoever to warrent a battery like those, let alone two. I just got a new alt. and I was upset that it was a 65amp., my old one was a 55amp..

I have a MSD 6A multible spark box and it says do not run alt. of 100 amps or more or it will kill the box.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Posts like that should come with a cheap set of channel locks with them for the constant tightening they need, lol.
The constant need to tighten sounds like it was over tightened to begin with and it got damaged/ruined. Lead is soft. Never had an issue with this or the other adapter I have which connects into true side post terminals.

I mean it's literally lead on lead. Snug up(don't over tighten) and roll. :burnout:

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The constant need to tighten sounds like it was over tightened to begin with and it got damaged/ruined. Lead is soft. Never had an issue with this or the other adapter I have which connects into true side post terminals.

I mean it's literally lead on lead. Snug up(don't over tighten) and roll. :burnout:

i've got a set of those on my dodge truck.
never had to 'adjust' them.
maybe 10 years and 2 batteries on them.

:)

louu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 for now working on LS
I just got all the parts to switch my top post to side post... Just have to get the new battery.
I hate top post

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Curt,

What's with the two batteries? I know people use two batteries for all the accessories they have on board, and with a 150 amp alt. . No offense, but you rig doesn't look like the newest, latest truck on the road. I like those batteries, their name slips my mind right now. I don't have the power needs whatsoever to warrent a battery like those, let alone two. I just got a new alt. and I was upset that it was a 65amp., my old one was a 55amp..

I have a MSD 6A multible spark box and it says do not run alt. of 100 amps or more or it will kill the box.

I have to apologize my friend,I didn’t see this.So I have 2 batteries because I’m running a winch.Optima yellow tops,deep cycle.Mainly the deep cycle for the the way the truck is driven.Sometimes 5-10 days without driving and this is hard on starting batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl